cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to pay off credit card to ensure credit score increases as effectively as possible

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

When to pay off credit card to ensure credit score increases as effectively as possible

I am in the process of building credit. I have a secured First Progress card and a Discover IT card. 

I am curious on how to effectively increase your credit score as best possible. 

How should it work, being the credit score updates monthly? 

Would I use the credit card and pay it off immediately the same day? 

Would I allow close to full-balance go into the next month (I don't think so...) and then pay it off and allow it to be like 3-5% into the next month? 

Then Credit Socres would see the credit card being used, paid off, and then utilized only 3-5%.

OR should I use it, pay it, and only allow 3-5% to rollover into the next month and nothing more? 

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When to pay off credit card to ensure credit score increases as effectively as possible

Message 2 of 3
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: When to pay off credit card to ensure credit score increases as effectively as possible

@Anonymous wrote:

I am in the process of building credit. I have a secured First Progress card and a Discover IT card. 

I am curious on how to effectively increase your credit score as best possible. 

How should it work, being the credit score updates monthly? 

Would I use the credit card and pay it off immediately the same day? 

Would I allow close to full-balance go into the next month (I don't think so...) and then pay it off and allow it to be like 3-5% into the next month? 

Then Credit Socres would see the credit card being used, paid off, and then utilized only 3-5%.

OR should I use it, pay it, and only allow 3-5% to rollover into the next month and nothing more? 

I think your best bet is to pay one down to zero before the statement cuts, and let the other one report a balance of less than 9%, which you should then pay down to zero after the statement cuts.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.