Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to try again?

tag
HIzzie

When to try again?

Hi everyone!

I'm new here. I have been reading the forums for a couple of months now and decided that I might as well create an account.

Recently after reading a few threads here, I got excited and decided to apply for a couple of cards.

First to give some background:
I have 6 credit card accounts.
AAoA 4 years, 6 months
Oldest account 6 years, 5 months
Utl: 86% (I know it's high, I'm working on it)
No baddies, no late payments 
2 car loans that were paid off Dec. 2012.
2 HP's  

5 cards currently carry a balance but 3 will be PIF at the end of the month.
The other 2 I am paying down over time...
GOAL: 1 PIF by the end of the year and the other PIF by the middle of next year if not sooner.

I applied for the Discover IT card and was approved for 1K which I was surprised because my ULT is high. It wasn't an instant approval. I got the message of 7-10 day letter stating more information was needed. I chalked this up to being denied and didn't bother writing down the phone number it told me to call. A couple days later while at work, they called to verify my employment (employment length 7 years) then the phone rep said that I was approved for 1K and to expect to receive my card in the mail. 

After that, I decided to jump the gun and applied for the American Express Blue Cash Everyday card and was denied.
Reasoning was:

Credit card balance too high in relation to credit limit
Number of accounts had high utilizations
TU Fico 685

I really want to add the American Express Blue Cash card to my collection. At what point should I try again?

[edited to modify the proper card name]

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Re: When to try again?

AE as in American Eagle issued by GE?

You meant AE as in American Express got you.

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 2 of 21
HeilFico
Regular Contributor

UTIL is extremely high. You are teetering on AA from the issuers you already have. Garden and pay off your debts to at least 20% before wasting additional HP's. Discover probably wanted to make sure you actually had a job given the high UTIL. That was probably why a call was made there. Count your blessings, and pay down! Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 21
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Well for sure re-apply once that UTL lowers

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 4 of 21
shane82388
Established Contributor

What is the actual re-apply period if you are already a AMEX customer? 30 days?

Message 5 of 21
HIzzie

Thank you for your response.

As stated above, 3 will be PIF at the end of this month and that's exactly what I plan to do....get the UTL WAYY down.

So I should wait to apply again when my overall UTL is below 20% or since it's American Express should I aim lower for UTL then re-apply?

Also, what are some of the FICO's from users here that have been approved for the American Express Everyday Cash Card?

Message 6 of 21
HeilFico
Regular Contributor

I would get the UTIL as low as financially possible before trying again. 20% or less and try to keep it to 1-2 cards. 1 card optimally...

Keep in mind, AMEX will check your credit once a month after acceptance. You can't let it get this high again if you want to keep your new card... Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 21
HIzzie

@HeilFico - Oh no...this is not an ongoing situation. NOT happening again Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 21
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I agree, the util is extremely high-glad you are going to get it handled. Dd Amex triple pull you? What are your other CS?
Message 9 of 21
Gatortrout
Regular Contributor

I was in a similar situation earlier this year. I never knew it was a big deal to carry larger balances. I lurked here for quite a while and learned a lot!

I paid all my cards off and let 1% report on ONE card when I got ready to app (I read on here over and over that was for optimal scoring). Doing that bumped my EX score to 751. I apped for BCP, then CSP, then Discover IT. Approved for all three... Had I apped when my balances were so hi I'm positive I would have been denied for all 3.

My history is very similar to yours, pay those balances and I'm sure there will be no problem getting approved.
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.