Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to use Citi Forward/Quicksilver

tag
aaronj91
Established Member

When to use Citi Forward/Quicksilver

I have the Capital 1 Quicksilver, Citi Forward (no longer offered), Discover, and BOA Cashback (1-2-3%). I pretty sure have set on what to use Discover and BOA for.

But Capital 1 Quicksilver

Discover: Whenever 5% category each quarter, or shopping online, Gas during July-September

BOA: Gas and gorcceries

Capital 1: Resturants, other places 1.5%, phone bill

Citi Forward: 1 point each $1.

Should I just use the Capital 1 Quicksilver for other expenses l and just reserve the Citi card for specific purposes?

Thanks

Capital One Quicksilver ($2,000) JCP Gold ($4,300), Citi Forward ($1,600), Bank of America Cash Rewards ($2,000), Discover IT ($1,000), Kohl’s MVC ($1,000)
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: When to use Citi Forward/Quicksilver

@aaronj91 wrote:

I have the Capital 1 Quicksilver, Citi Forward (no longer offered), Discover, and BOA Cashback (1-2-3%). I pretty sure have set on what to use Discover and BOA for.

But Capital 1 Quicksilver

Discover: Whenever 5% category each quarter, or shopping online, Gas during July-September

BOA: Gas and gorcceries

Capital 1: Resturants, other places 1.5%, phone bill

Citi Forward: 1 point each $1.

Should I just use the Capital 1 Quicksilver for other expenses l and just reserve the Citi card for specific purposes?

Thanks

So your Forward is the "new" version (just before it was discontinued), it doesn't give 5x on entertainment/dining?

If it is, there is no reason to use it, the Quicksilver pays out more and is much more convenient to redeem than the Forward Thank You Points.   

So, use it only to keep it alive, if that is important.  The 1x Forward really is a useless card!

Message 2 of 14
aaronj91
Established Member

Yea I got it in 2011, don't know if that will be a factor. No 5x for entertainment unfortunately.

It still want to use it some more, so I can redeem my points and get a gift card. I pretty much came to the conclusion that it was useless,  I just didn't want to accept it lol

Capital One Quicksilver ($2,000) JCP Gold ($4,300), Citi Forward ($1,600), Bank of America Cash Rewards ($2,000), Discover IT ($1,000), Kohl’s MVC ($1,000)
Message 3 of 14
Blackbeauty212
Frequent Contributor

IMO the QS ROCKS! For how I use it.... 

It's my Auto Bill Pay Card. I route all my Auto Bill pays to it (Roughly 3.5K a month) and I build significant Cashback nest egg much quicker this way, rather than playing that exhauting 5% Rotating Categories Game across a slew of different cards. 2 months ago I wiped out my CB bank for ~300$.... since then I'm already back to  ~87$ bank

Message 4 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@aaronj91 wrote:

Yea I got it in 2011, don't know if that will be a factor. No 5x for entertainment unfortunately.

It still want to use it some more, so I can redeem my points and get a gift card. I pretty much came to the conclusion that it was useless,  I just didn't want to accept it lol

How close are you to a gift card?   And if it's less than $100, don't you pay more than 1 point per cent?   Remember that every $100  you put on Forward rather than Cap One you lose 50cents in rewards, and those can be straight cash or statement credit.  So, decide if it is worth building up, or just leave the points there (and maybe one day you can get a better TY card)

Message 5 of 14
DieGo2SHAE
Regular Contributor

If you got the card in 2011, are you sure it's not the 5x restaurants, movies, music, and bookstores version? It wasn't until late 2013 that the card got nerfed to the 1x version, and that was for new applicants.

May 2013 | June 2013 |Sep 2013 | Dec 2013 |May 2014 | May 2014 | May 2014| April 2015 | April 2015 | April 2015 | April 2015
Message 6 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@DieGo2SHAE wrote:

If you got the card in 2011, are you sure it's not the 5x restaurants, movies, music, and bookstores version? It wasn't until late 2013 that the card got nerfed to the 1x version, and that was for new applicants.

Being Citi, is was more complex than that!   It depended on the offer you used, some Forwards were always 1x, and some people got them even if they used what appeared to be a 5x link.

Message 7 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@DieGo2SHAE wrote:

Being Citi, is was more complex than that!   It depended on the offer you used, some Forwards were always 1x, and some people got them even if they used what appeared to be a 5x link.

But OP, do check, either by calling Citi, or looking through old statements to see if you ever got bonus points.   Citi doesn't include this type of promo information with the card mailer for some reason.

Message 8 of 14
aaronj91
Established Member

I really don't think I have the 5x resturant thing because it was the student version maybe. I get the 100 points for using credit wisely but thats it I think. I will look into it though.

If it turns out I never had the 5x, would I be able to PC to the Thank You Preferred?

Message 9 of 14
gh17
Frequent Contributor

I got the Citi Forward student version in 2011 and it definitely has 5x on restaurants, bookstores, and movies.  Do a few test purchase to make sure, and look at your old 2011 statements online to see if you were ever getting 5x the points.  It's kind of confusing because they don't put the points next to the purchases - they give you total numbers and you have to do some math to figure what you got 5x on.  If you're really not getting 5x, I would call... probably won't do any good but worth a shot.  I thought everyone in 2011 got the 5x version, but maybe you clicked a link for a worse promotion or something when you applied.

BofA Cash Rewards 25,000 (2009) | Citi Double Cash 25,000 (2011) | Cap1 Quicksilver 10,000 (2013) | Discover It 31,000 (2014) | Chase Freedom 9000 (2014) | Barclaycard Rewards 25,000 (2014)

FICO: 840 Discover/Barclays/BofA TU, 869 Citi Equifax
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.