cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will AMEX offer incentives for me to upgrade from Gold to Platinum?

tag
v639dragoon

When will AMEX offer incentives for me to upgrade from Gold to Platinum?

I have had a Gold Amex charge card since october of 12 and am wanting to get the platinum for its' benefits. I'm going to be traveling internationally and would like to use the Platinum's benefits. I've heard of people getting offered incentives, (MR points), to upgrade their card. Does anyone know when they will offer me an incentive? Or am I supposed to call and ask? 

Thanks!

Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL | Amex BCP $6k | Credit Union Card $1k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5k | Southwest RR Plus $5k | Nordstrom Store Card $4k | Cap1 Venture $35k AU | Amex Plat Business NPSL
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

Re: When will AMEX offer incentives for me to upgrade from Gold to Platinum?

@v639dragoon wrote:

I have had a Gold Amex charge card since october of 12 and am wanting to get the platinum for its' benefits. I'm going to be traveling internationally and would like to use the Platinum's benefits. I've heard of people getting offered incentives, (MR points), to upgrade their card. Does anyone know when they will offer me an incentive? Or am I supposed to call and ask? 

Thanks!

You have to have the Gold for 13 months before you can even upgrade, I would assume it would be someone after december of this year before they offer you anyting

The normal offer I have seen to upgrade is 25K MR points, from time to time they offer 100K to sign up for a new card... you might be better off just getting another account and get the 100k bonus, especially since you can backdate

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 2 of 7
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

I got a targeted offer to upgrade to Platinum for 50K MR points after having the PRG for about a year.  But I don't think there's anything standard about this.  Targeted offers vary and there's nothing to say that you will necessarily get one.  If a good offer for the Platinum card comes around again, I would just apply for it rather than waiting on a targeted upgrade offer.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 7
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

@v639dragoon wrote:

Thanks!

You have to have the Gold for 13 months before you can even upgrade, I would assume it would be someone after december of this year before they offer you anyting

The normal offer I have seen to upgrade is 25K MR points, from time to time they offer 100K to sign up for a new card... you might be better off just getting another account and get the 100k bonus, especially since you can backdate

I wouldn't expect 100K to come back anytime soon.  I could be wrong, but the last time around through creditcards.com appears to have been a mistake.  I think 50K is a pretty good signup bonus for Platinum.  If you see that return, or if you get a targeted offer for 50K, I would take it.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 7
v639dragoon

Alright, thanks guys. I'll wait until december than!

Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL | Amex BCP $6k | Credit Union Card $1k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5k | Southwest RR Plus $5k | Nordstrom Store Card $4k | Cap1 Venture $35k AU | Amex Plat Business NPSL
Message 5 of 7
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

I was targeted for upgrade from Gold to Platinum after 6 months. Offer was 25,000 points. The offer appeared on the AMEX page when signed in to my accounts. I also received an email with the offer about the time I noticed it on the site. 

My spend was pretty heavy but I doubt that matters. 

Message 6 of 7
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@scenery_guy wrote:

I was targeted for upgrade from Gold to Platinum after 6 months. Offer was 25,000 points. The offer appeared on the AMEX page when signed in to my accounts. I also received an email with the offer about the time I noticed it on the site. 

My spend was pretty heavy but I doubt that matters. 

I've seen those before and normally once you click they go away... it's illegal for you to upgrade to a card with a higher AF before the 13 month mark

although you could get a seperate card

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.