Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will it be safe to app again?

tag
BrokaToe
Established Contributor

When will it be safe to app again?

I have basically no current revolving credit history due to not opening any accounts or apping for any credit for almost 10 years.  So my biggest thing hurting me on getting approved for a prime card right now is not having enough revolving credit history.  So I received the 99/500 boa card this month, and should receive my cap1 49/200 card next week.  My question is, how long should I let these ride with good PIF history before I try to app again?  Is 6 months generally enough history, or should I wait it out 1 year and give the boa time to graduate, and hopefully the cap 1 too?

I've recently been denied for Discover More and Walmart due to not enough history

Thanks for any advice

border="0" align="left" width="450" height="90">
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: When will it be safe to app again?

6 Months would be my pick.

and look at Amex Zync and maybe a Discover or Citi or both... but be sure to look at the Discover Pre-Approval link... I tend to say pass if pre-approvals are offered but they are saying no to you.

Message 2 of 5
Crashem
Valued Contributor

If you can get one more card now, that would be good.  Then wait 6 months and see where your score is at.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 3 of 5
BrokaToe
Established Contributor

@Crashem wrote:

If you can get one more card now, that would be good.  Then wait 6 months and see where your score is at.

What card would you suggest I try and get?  I've not had much luck, although I've only apped for Discover and Walmart.  I did do the pre-approved thing on the buckel sight, but haven't heard anything from them yet.  I got the 7-10 msg and when I call the number, they don't show any info on me.  Although I've heard some people say that a card has just shown up in the mail after similar incidents.

So what other card would be likely to approve me without deposit or no history?  My scores are below

border="0" align="left" width="450" height="90">
Message 4 of 5
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

I'd talk with local CUs. When I first started getting CCs last year, I started w/Old Navy and 2 Cap Ones. Then after reading about CUs here, I researched local CUs and found one I liked and got a $500 CC. Wasn't thrilled with the starting limit, but 6 mos later, I got CLI to $2500 in January.

My first CC was March 2011 and I got my CU visa in June. But I did have 2 other paid installment loans (1 year each) that were showing (PIF/closed). So, I did have the history of over 1 year.

You can talk w/local CUs and let them know your situation, and see who will work with you. I wouldn't wait if I were you. I'd try and get one more now. You may find that you want to cancel the 2 you got (given the AFs and Cap One's likelihood of CLIs). This way, you can do that in the future and will still have a good CC for your aging, when those drop off your CR (if you choose to cancel in the future). Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.