Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When would PIFers carry?

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: When would PIFers carry?

@Anonymous wrote:

I suppose for those who lose thousands every year on bad investments, it's just another chance taken.

Some of us smaller fish would at least like half our Money back. lol

I mean there's a BIG difference between $3K and $100K, how could anyone invest that small of amount and get such steep returns?

Think something like Powerball lottery type thing.   (In fact, with each $3000, we buy one ticket for you.   If it wins big, you get the $100K (and we keep the rest) and if it loses you get nothing.   And we keep most of the $3000 anyway.    Ethical as anything else!)

Message 11 of 17
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I suppose for those who lose thousands every year on bad investments, it's just another chance taken.

Some of us smaller fish would at least like half our Money back. lol

I mean there's a BIG difference between $3K and $100K, how could anyone invest that small of amount and get such steep returns?

Think something like Powerball lottery type thing.   (In fact, with each $3000, we buy one ticket for you.   If it wins big, you get the $100K (and we keep the rest) and if it loses you get nothing.   And we keep most of the $3000 anyway.    Ethical as anything else!)

I can sell you some Powerball tickets. They're 75% off, and the odds of winning are only 1/100,000,000th less.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 12 of 17
Caught750
Valued Contributor

DW was out of work (unpaid) for over 3 months when we had DS a few months back. We are also trying to save for a house and things are insane here financially. They likely will be for another month or two but will settle shortly. That said I haven’t paid a cent of interest to date but may end carrying a small balance on CSP for a month or two.

I still don’t anticipate this costing us more than $100-$150 or so in interest maximum. While I do my best to avoid it sometimes things come up. I have cards with lower APRs but even at 14% as opposed to 18% the difference is pretty minimal. Those cards also don’t have the limits to carry anything and stay below 28.9% Util.

It’ll be a first and it’s kinda got me nervous but I suppose the occasional month or two happens to almost everyone at some point in time!
PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
F8 Current F8s ~750 Best Ever F8s ~775
TOTAL PERSONAL CL > $350k and TCL > $365k
Message 13 of 17
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

I never pay interest but use 0% all the time.

Just wrote myself a check for $5k on Venture and it cost me $100.

If you have enough credit and cards, you will basically always have 0% available for cash flow.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 14 of 17
redpat
Senior Contributor

I floated about a $27k business expense on my personal plat for three months on a 1.99% offer which was lower than our 1% above prime BLOC.  If I have 0% or 1.99% offers I will use them for business spend at times.  Our monthly personal spend is paid on the 28th of each month after our last Amex statement cuts on the 25th of the month (all our August bills are paid on July 28th)

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I keep a 0% APR intro card around whenever possible. It’s sometimes nice not having to just pay in full right away.

I won’t carry a balance unless it’s at 0% though.
Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

i plan to use my Discover with its 0% APR period to finance tires for my car soon as my cash reserves are going to paying a new apartment deposit. So money will be right. And as moving to a new city, i would rather not break into my emergency fund for tires.

As long as you realize your credit lines aren’t your real money, you understand a credit card. I only spend on my Gold card really and I pay that off every week to keep my finances under control.
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.