Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When you receive a discover it credit card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you receive a discover it credit card

Are you supposed to use it right away or can you save it for an
Emergency! If so how much do you charge on it to keep it good?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

Re: When you receive a discover it credit card

Ideally you'd charge something to it every month to show activity, but you could sock drawer it just as likely and not see an account closure for a year or more. YMMV though. However, the bigger problem is what it sounds like you're planning to save it for. If it's emergency funds you're looking to get without saving yourself (bad idea), you should look at a personal line of credit or a card with a lower interest rate--though Discover is often kind enough to extend the 0% financing offer after the first 12 months.  

Message 2 of 12
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Use the Disco right away for everything because all cashback earned in your first year is doubled. I really focus on the 5% categories because it doubles to 10%. This is free money. I pay bills, buy gas, eat out, buy groceries, etc. Last month I purchased a Metro subway card for $300. That's $30 cash back because local transportation was included in last quarter's category. Definitely take advantage of the card's benefits!

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 3 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

2 freat repliesSmiley Happy
Message 4 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Great!, dang coffeeSmiley Wink
Message 5 of 12
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

If you don't have any bills to pay with it, you can pay mine. That is the kind of team player I am. 

Just kidding of course but I agree about maximizing the cash back.

Experian: 677 (28) | TransUnion: 697 (27) | Equifax: 684 (6)
Gardening as of: 1-23-2018
Updated 1-25-18
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm pretty sure it's implied, but once you pay the bills with it, make sure to pay in full. You don't want interest eating into your cash back rewards. First year is awesome as they double the rewards. As others have posted focus on the current 5% categories.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditInspired wrote:
Use the Disco right away for everything because all cashback earned in your first year is doubled. I really focus on the 5% categories because it doubles to 10%. This is free money. I pay bills, buy gas, eat out, buy groceries, etc. Last month I purchased a Metro subway card for $300. That's $30 cash back because local transportation was included in last quarter's category. Definitely take advantage of the card's benefits!

Very solid advice.

Message 8 of 12
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@MyLoFICO wrote:

If you don't have any bills to pay with it, you can pay mine. That is the kind of team player I am. 

Just kidding of course but I agree about maximizing the cash back.

Exactly! Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 9 of 12
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's implied, but once you pay the bills with it, make sure to pay in full. You don't want interest eating into your cash back rewards. First year is awesome as they double the rewards. As others have posted focus on the current 5% categories.

The first 14 months is 0% interest on purchases (well mine is), so you don't even have to worry about the interest eating into the CB rewards. I'm telling you, Disco is just throwing the money at you. Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.