cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When you stop paying a CC, how often do they call?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have officially stopped paying my 2 Credit Cards. Discover hasn't actually reached the next payment, so I'm not worried there yet. But I'm 2 weeks overdue on my Visa. They called twice last week. The first call was cut off. The second call was a full 2 days later, and I got into a huge argument with the woman on the other end. I really made her mad.

That was a full week ago.

Should I be more or less worried that they are NOT calling every other day?

I'm wondering if I made her mad enough, that she just skipped the formalities, and put me straight into the lawsuit file. I honestly thought I'd be getting a phone call at least every over day by now.

Roger
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When you stop paying a CC, how often do they call?

Why did you stop paying your cc's?

I would  recommend dealing with your creditors appropriately.  If you can't make payments for some reason - it would be wise to have some reasonable conversations with the companies and make payment arrangements.  I would also recommend treating their employees with the same respect you would like to receive.

(Before hitting post, I just had to double check the date and make sure this wasn't posted five days earlier.)

Message 2 of 7
marty56
Super Contributor

IT may be several months before they do anything medieval to you.  depending on the company, they may not call for awhile.   BofA waited almost 7 months before contacting me that they were dumping me from the DMP porgram and that I had been late for the past 6 months.  They did that to jack my credit since they are that type of company.  If it goes into collections, you will see more phone activity.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried to be polite at first. I went with a Debt Settlement company, and they basically told just to inform the Credit Card Company when they ask, keep it short, but make it clear that a lawyer would be handling the case from that point on. I've since dropped the Debt Settlement company because they just can't offer enough guarantees.

The woman at the Credit Card company came on very aggressive though. It escalated pretty quick.  A big part of it was that the company had already manipulated, and out right lied to me on several occasions before, and her comments were proving that. Her aggression fed my aggression, and all I really wanted to tell her was that she'd have to talk to the lawyer. But she just would not accept that, and kept pushing the issue. The more she talked, the less I wanted to deal with her or the Credit Card company directly.

Roger
Message 4 of 7
-RED
Regular Contributor

If you are jumping ship, then I'd just get a new phone nu...

If you are jumping ship, then I'd just get a new phone number!

-800 or Bust...!
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I tried to be polite at first. I went with a Debt Settlement company, and they basically told just to inform the Credit Card Company when they ask, keep it short, but make it clear that a lawyer would be handling the case from that point on. I've since dropped the Debt Settlement company because they just can't offer enough guarantees.

The woman at the Credit Card company came on very aggressive though. It escalated pretty quick.  A big part of it was that the company had already manipulated, and out right lied to me on several occasions before, and her comments were proving that. Her aggression fed my aggression, and all I really wanted to tell her was that she'd have to talk to the lawyer. But she just would not accept that, and kept pushing the issue. The more she talked, the less I wanted to deal with her or the Credit Card company directly.

Roger

Oh I see.  I think I was missing part of your story in the first post.

Does this info help at all?  It's the FTC's Debt Collection FAQ's page.

Consumers should never have to tolerate unethical practices -   this helps outline appropriate recourse.

Some of these guys can be downright outrageously nasty.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre18.shtm

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would have just told her that she would be contacted by lawyer and hung up after you were sure she had received that message from you. There shouldnt be any reason to keep the conversation going after that.

Discover is pretty agressive, or so I hear.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.