cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I go from here? Citi Forward? Capital One Venture?

tag
700orbust
Frequent Contributor

Where do I go from here? Citi Forward? Capital One Venture?

Thanks to the forum, I have a few excellent cards at my disposal.

Amex Blue Cash Preferred: 11.5k
NFCU Platinum @12.99%(v): 15k
Wells Fargo Platinum @ 10.99%: 6.5k

Because the Amex is a rewards card, the apr is irrelevant (I think it's 19.24%, 0% through 12/11), PIF.

I have put about 6k through the BCP this month, which is about right for my monthly personal spending. I buy a lot of gas, groceries, and clothes. However, I also have a business, and I could really push some money through a good rewards card with it.

I have picked two cards that I may find beneficial, let me know if I'm missing something.

Citi Forward: I eat out A LOT. I also love Amazon :-)

Cap1 Venture: I travel a decent amount, but hop airlines often. I like how this card will work with any airline.

I've had a Cap1 Platinum for 11 years, got my first CLI in December for $3000. Card is about 9% util for this year. I know the Venture can be a tough one to get and cost an INQ on each CRA...

Thoughts?
------------------------------------------------

What's in my wallet?

Apple, Amex BCP, Platinum, Gold, NFCU Flagship, Spark Biz.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Where do I go from here? Citi Forward? Capital One Venture?

@700orbust wrote:

@Anonymous Platinum @Anonymous.99%(v): 15k
@Wells Fargo Platinum @ 10.99%: 6.5k

Because the Amex is a rewards card, the apr is irrelevant (I think it's 19.24%, 0% through 12/11), PIF.

I have put about 6k through the BCP this month, which is about right for my monthly personal spending. I buy a lot of gas, groceries, and clothes. However, I also have a business, and I could really push some money through a good rewards card with it.

I have picked two cards that I may find beneficial, let me know if I'm missing something.

Cap1 Venture: I travel a decent amount, but hop airlines often. I like how this card will work with any airline.

I've had a Cap1 Platinum for 11 years, got my first CLI in December for $3000. Card is about 9% util for this year. I know the Venture can be a tough one to get and cost an INQ on each CRA...

Thoughts?

Congrats!  You're doing great.  I'd pick Citi over Capital One.  You stand a chance of getting regular CLIs with Citi.  As for as customer service, they both sucks!!

Message 2 of 7
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Here is my insight.

Capital One Venture - 2% cashback on everything provided that you redeem rewards toward travel expense (airlines, hotel, rental car, etc). With no AF for the first year, it easily beats Discover Escape. Capital One's reward structure is simpler compare to other competitors. Another good thing about Capital One is lack of foreign transaction fee, perfect for those who travel. However, you need to spend over $8,000 per year starting from second year to make this card worth while. People looked down on Capital One because lack of customer initiated CLI.

Venture - 2%, $59 AF

$8,000 Spending = 16,000 miles = $101 off towards travel expense after offsetting AF.

VentureOne - 1.25%, No AF

$8,000 Spending = 10,000 miles = $100 off towards travel expense.

If you will not spend over $8,000 then go with Capital One VentureOne card.

Citi Forward - 5pts for Amazon, restaurant, and entertainment. 1pts for other transaction. Keep in mind that ThankYou point keeps getting depreciated. So in reality you get 3.2% return for Amazon, restaurant, and entertainment. 0.7% return for other transaction. As you can see, if you plan on using Forward card for Amazon, restaurant, and/or entertainment expense, then it is an excellent choice; but not so for other transaction. Citicards are known for generous credit limit, and easier to get approved. Citi Forward also comes with virtual account number. Keep in mind like other cards, Citi Forward charges 3% foreign transaction fee.  

You should base your decision on card features and reward structure, not complaints torward CSR and lack of CLI. As complaints torward CSR and lack of CLI are not an overall picture. 

Message 3 of 7
700orbust
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the input so far.

I was entertaining applying for both cards, as they serve separate purposes. I shop amazon at least a few times a month, and make a lot of bigger purchases there. I also spend anywhere between $1000-2000 in dining a month (I need to reel that in some!). A restaurant rewards card would be good.

I fly about 10-20 times a year. I don't know if that's a lot or not. I tend to favor Delta, but Southwest has good deals on occasion, so I use them too. I wonder if my cap1 account will help/hurt (no 30day lates, but I kept a high balance on it for years, this year, I have ran about 3k/mo through and pay it down to 9% for each statement). I can't fnd too much info on detailed requirements for the Venture. I have a friend with a 20k Venture I could be added to if it were to help; I don't know.

Oh, and I can run anywhere between 3-20k a month on business expenses. So 8k/yr would be easy.

What's in my wallet?

Message 4 of 7
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Then you should go for both cards. Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 7
700orbust
Frequent Contributor

CitiForward probably is a "go" at this point. I don't like the point devaluation though...

I don't want to apply for the Venture unless I have a solid shot at it. My Experian FICO was 745 at the time BMW pulled it in May. A week later I applied and received the 11.5k Amex.

EQ was 723 in May. Since then, I have had another Hard Pull from NFCU in June for my CLI. Nothing interesting happening on TU except for my mortgage late last year.

TU has a collection that they said would be removed 6/11. I'm waiting on that before I get an updated score. I think I'm going to dispute tomorrow since it's still there.

INQ for last 2yr:
EX: 7
EQ: 4
TU: 2

AAoA was 4 years before the Amex and NFCU. 11yr credit history. Last late was 4-5 years ago.

What's in my wallet?

Message 6 of 7
daylove
Regular Contributor

JP Morgan The Ritz Carlton Card...you can rack up some serious hotel staying with it..I just got it

http://www.requestritzcarltoncard.com/search?CELL=6RRW&MSC=IQ36563028

@700orbust wrote:

@Anonymous Platinum @Anonymous.99%(v): 15k
@Wells Fargo Platinum @ 10.99%: 6.5k

Thoughts?

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.