Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do you see the value of Chase FU if you have the Discover IT

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where do you see the value of Chase FU if you have the Discover IT

Just trying to see the value of my cards. Seems some of them have the same offers.

Chase FU - Unlimited 1.5 Cashback

Quicksilver - Unlimited 1.5 Cashback - (My Oldest Card)

Discover IT - 5% CB per quarter and Unlimited yr round 1.5 CB with Total CB price match at end of yr.

Amex BCE - 1% CB on everything, 3% Supermarket, 2% Gas pump and Dept Store.

Gotta find the weakest link.. LOL

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Where do you see the value of Chase FU if you have the Discover IT

Nice set of cards though, good problem to haveSmiley Happy

I did recently see a FU Discover thoughSmiley Wink
Message 2 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just trying to see the value of my cards. Seems some of them have the same offers.

Discover IT - 5% CB per quarter and Unlimited yr round 1.5 CB with Total CB price match at end of yr.

The FU only has extra value if you have a UR transfer card.   It doesn't really earn 1.5%, it earns 1.5URs (which you can cash out at 1.5c).   However, if you move them to a CSR, the 1.5 UR become worth 2.25cents when used for travel (and potentially much more when transferred to partners)

Without a transfer, yes, it's nothing special and youshould use a 2% card instead

Why do you say Discover IT is 1.5%?   Isn't it 2% first year and 1% after that (outside categories)

Message 3 of 24
csryang
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The FU only has extra value if you have a UR transfer card.   It doesn't really earn 1.5%, it earns 1.5URs (which you can cash out at 1.5c).   However, if you move them to a CSR, the 1.5 UR become worth 2.25cents when used for travel (and potentially much more when transferred to partners)

Without a transfer, yes, it's nothing special and youshould use a 2% card instead

Why do you say Discover IT is 1.5%?   Isn't it 2% first year and 1% after that (outside categories)

Agree with this. Discover It - the typical promotional offer is 2 times normal reward the first year so it would be 10% rotating category and 2%CB base.

I agree that your Chase freedom unlimited is probably your "weakest link." If you dont plan to get CSP or CSR later...., it's probably better to product change it into Chase Freedom for another rotating category card. I believe that some have said that you can product change after having it for a year, not sure if you can do that earlier. This is better than canceling the card.

Message 4 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Nailed it! I guess you really have to pair the CSR or CSP to a Freedom Card.

With Discover it, its actually 1% I couldn't find the deal on the 2% for the first yr.

Message 5 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover is not 1.5% on everyone outside of the rotating catagories it is only 1%. (2% if you want to count year one promo). So I wouldn't compare it to the Freedom Unlimited as it is more inline with the regular Freedom. 

Regardless of which Chase card you are comparing it to, the value of the either of the Freedom cards is increased when you transfer to Ultimate Reward points on higher point multiplier cards like the Sapphire Preffered or Reserve. 

If you travel and have the Freedom, FU, CSR and Ink in your portfolio, it is really hard to pass that with other earners. 

That being said, in my own personal exp, I think Discover is a great company that has treated my very well and I would never get rid of. 

If out of the 4 cards below you are looking for the "weakest" earner, it would be the FU if you don't plan on adding additional CHase cards to your portfolio. I say this based on the ease of rewards posting and redemption on the QS vs the FU. Your limit is also over double. 

Message 6 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@csryang wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Agree with this. Discover It - the typical promotional offer is 2 times normal reward the first year so it would be 10% rotating category and 2%CB base.

I agree that your Chase freedom unlimited is probably your "weakest link." If you dont plan to get CSP or CSR later...., it's probably better to product change it into Chase Freedom for another rotating category card. I believe that some have said that you can product change after having it for a year, not sure if you can do that earlier. This is better than canceling the card.

If I can, I would.. Unfortunately I'm beyond Chase 5/24.

Gonna try to downgrade PC to probably the regular Freedom or Cancel.

Message 7 of 24
csryang
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

With Discover it, its actually 1% I couldn't find the deal on the 2% for the first yr.

you can go to their offical page and you will see it: https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/cash-back/it-card.html

"we MATCH it all your first year" - only for new card member

Maybe your account already has this promotion but you did not know?! Call front line agent to figure it out.

To bypass 5/24, try opening a checking and/or saving account with Chase. Then wait and check it every month. You might get in-branch pre-approval sometime.

Message 8 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is the plan..

I just got approved last week for the Amazon Prime Visa card.

Can I rollover my FU limit to the Amazon Visa Card?

Then eventually cancelling the FU..

Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@csryang wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

you can go to their offical page and you will see it: https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/cash-back/it-card.html

"we MATCH it all your first year" - only for new card member

Maybe your account already has this promotion but you did not know?! Call front line agent to figure it out.

To bypass 5/24, try opening a checking and/or saving account with Chase. Then wait and check it every month. You might get in-branch pre-approval sometime.

I actually bank with Chase for the past 8yrs. My main bank and Checking.

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.