cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where have you used your EMV chip in the US?

tag
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Re: Where have you used your EMV chip in the US?

Tested a European chip&pin Mastercard at 7-11 and bam... to my big surprise requested the pin ...wow ..... desperately waiting for chip&pin everywhere....LOL

Message 11 of 24
nyancat
Established Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

Tested a European chip&pin Mastercard at 7-11 and bam... to my big surprise requested the pin ...wow ..... desperately waiting for chip&pin everywhere....LOL

Glad to hear that! No 7-11 near me. Can anyone confirm that there are any active Starbucks or Best Buy stores? Again, in my area, Best Buy doesn't use the chip, and Starbucks isn't EMV at all... I thought that was the case US-wide.

My understanding was that EMV was limited to a handful of Walmart stores plus some merchants using Chase Paymentech

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 12 of 24
cottoncrown
Frequent Contributor

I swiped my PRG at everyday music (a chain in the Pacific Northwest) and it insisted the chip be inserted. The receipt also showed chip as the method at which the card was read.
Message 13 of 24
ccuser
Valued Member

I've used a European chip+pin debit card in a new Citibank ATM. It displayed a usual prompt like "Insert and quickly remove your card", what I did. And then it somehow understood that the card has a chip and wrote "Please insert your chip card" in different languages. So I inserted the card again and it was locked in the reader until I completed the transaction. So it definitely worked with the chip, but it was kind of weird compared to ATMs in Europe that normally just swallow your card right away, regardless if it has a chip or not.

AMEX BCP 25k | Discover It 17.6k | NIHFCU/Elan Bonus Rewards 9.8k | Citi ThankYou Preferred 9.4k (AU) | Barclaycard Arrival+ 8.5k | Citi Simplicity 8.5k | Andrews FCU GlobeTrek 7.5k | Sears MC 6.5k | Old Navy Visa 6k | Target 2.4k | Macy's 1.8k

EX FICO: 800 | TU FICO: 808 | EQ FICO: 815
Message 14 of 24
nyancat
Established Contributor

@cottoncrown wrote:
I swiped my PRG at everyday music (a chain in the Pacific Northwest) and it insisted the chip be inserted. The receipt also showed chip as the method at which the card was read.

Did they use Chase Paymentech by any chance?

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 15 of 24
cottoncrown
Frequent Contributor

Not sure, it was a little silver handheld pinpad with the discover, amex, visa mc logos on the top. I don't remember seeing any chase logos and I probly would have noticed.
Message 16 of 24
nyancat
Established Contributor

I'm glad to hear that there are more merchants accepting EMV in the United States. I'm hopeful that, awful as the situation is, the Target situation today and the URM Stores (local to Washington/Idaho/Montana but large enough breach I'm sure merchants are talking about it) will cause a fire to be lit in the direction of EMV migration.

Message 17 of 24
L-TWT
Established Contributor

@nyancat wrote:

I'm glad to hear that there are more merchants accepting EMV in the United States. I'm hopeful that, awful as the situation is, the Target situation today and the URM Stores (local to Washington/Idaho/Montana but large enough breach I'm sure merchants are talking about it) will cause a fire to be lit in the direction of EMV migration.

+1

B/c I was just thinking the same thing!

Message 18 of 24
nyancat
Established Contributor

Any updates? I've yet to have a transaction run as EMV within the United States, so I'm curious where people are seeing it happen.

Message 19 of 24
blondy250
Established Contributor

@nyancat wrote:

Any updates? I've yet to have a transaction run as EMV within the United States, so I'm curious where people are seeing it happen.

The establishments I've used it at, 7-11, Best buy, Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts and Subway(sandwich place).

Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.