cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to find a store's rewards category?

tag
New Contributor

Where to find a store's rewards category?

Where can you lookup a store's categoy as it applies to rewards percentages?  And is a category always at the store level?  Or can it differ based on the items at checkout?  Last, does the store decide it's category, or is the rewards program decision?

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

Re: Where to find a store's rewards category?

@851 wrote:

Where can you lookup a store's categoy as it applies to rewards percentages?  And is a category always at the store level?  Or can it differ based on the items at checkout?  Last, does the store decide it's category, or is the rewards program decision?

Thanks

It depends on what the merchant registered their category as - with Visa, MC, Amex, etc.

In the case of Visa, you can look up any merchant on the Visa website, and see what category they are registered as. For instance, my local Walmart is registered as "Grocery", but some other locations may be listed as "Warehouse store". It's very useful.

I'm not sure if MC or Amex have something similar or not.

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 2 of 4
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@coreysw12 wrote:

@851 wrote:

Thanks

It depends on what the merchant registered their category as - with Visa, MC, Amex, etc.

In the case of Visa, you can look up any merchant on the Visa website, and see what category they are registered as. For instance, my local Walmart is registered as "Grocery", but some other locations may be listed as "Warehouse store". It's very useful.

I'm not sure if MC or Amex have something similar or not.

Visa locator is https://www.visa.com/supplierlocator-app/app/#/home/supplier-locator

My understanding is that the same MCCs apply for Mastercard (but not Amex) although I don't know if that has to be the case

Message 3 of 4
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

The MCCs should be the same for V and MC.  The merchant category is going to depend on the person at the processor side that set up the merchant account.  With newer small businesses, the chances are now much higher that the Discover and Amex categories will also be the same/similar as Discover has distanced themselves from direct merchant agreements altogether, and Amex has really been pushing OptBlue for small biz and getting away from direct agreements to improve their acceptance rate.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.