Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where you putting the Gas this Quarter?

tag
oscar_actuary
Frequent Contributor

Where you putting the Gas this Quarter?

Well, with PayPal giving 6 pts/$ for the next couple months, and Discover and Chase offering 5%, along with PenFed Platinum Rewards always 5%. have you got any thoughts on where you'll put the gas this time?

Fro now, I told the Wife to stick it on the Discover More card.  Paypal's conversion makes 6pts/$ less than 5%.  On the other hand, Discover has the better values in the conversion, IIR.  More Gift Cards on sale.  But, I could use some input on that. 

FICO EX 827, 2015 Feb; FICO EQ 836/900 (Citi), 2014 Dec; FICO TU08 818, 2015 Feb.

BofA Cash Rwrds Sig V 2013 10k; Fidelity Rewards AmEx /BofA 2013 15.4k; Chase Freedom Sig V 2002 24.1k; Chase Amazon Rwrds Sig V 2011 8k; Sam's Club MC 2002 10k; Dscvr It 2012 10k; Citi Dvdnd Plat Sel V 2013 8.9k; PenFed Plat Rwrds V 2013 20k; AmEx Blue Sky 2013 11.3k; AmEx BCP 2014 24.1k; Priceline Rwrds Sig V 2013 8.7k; PayPal Xtras GE Cap Plat MC 2012 5k

Message 1 of 59
58 REPLIES 58
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Re: Where you putting the Gas this Quarter?

When I filled my car today, I totally forgot about chas/discover bonus...I used my BCP. I will be using my discover for gas until its close to statement date, then I'll switch to chase.

I don't have any specific reason for choosing discover over chase except the fact that I used chase for q2 categories and did not use discover at all.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 2 of 59
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

I'm using Chase this quarter. I like their card better. Besides, I just got through paying off Discover and won't be charging on that card anytime soon. The low limit isn't working for me and I'm constantly pushing payments through it. Ugh.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 3 of 59
HiLine
Blogger

Aren't PenFed points worth the least? Not sure how valuable PayPal points are. Discover and Freedom points are basically equivalent - which one comes out ahead depends on whether you have a Chase card that boosts the value of UR points.

Message 4 of 59
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

Aren't PenFed points worth the least? Not sure how valuable PayPal points are. Discover and Freedom points are basically equivalent - which one comes out ahead depends on whether you have a Chase card that boosts the value of UR points.

I feel like Chase will always come out on top. I just like their UR mall better than Discover's I guess Smiley Happy

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 5 of 59
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Discover all the way since they double my limit last month Smiley Very Happy

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 6 of 59
E150GT
Frequent Contributor

chase freedom baby! Although I told my sister to make sure to use her discover when she purchases gas since shes an AU on that card. 

CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Message 7 of 59
HiLine
Blogger

@maiden_girl wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

I feel like Chase will always come out on top. I just like their UR mall better than Discover's I guess Smiley Happy

Does the UR Mall offer discount on merchant gift cards? Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 59
kilj0y
Regular Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@maiden_girl wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

Does the UR Mall offer discount on merchant gift cards? Smiley Happy

He saying chase always comes out ahead as you can transfer the points to an Ink or CSP and then transfer the points to miles or hotel points which makes the points more valuable.

And freedom for me as well.

Message 9 of 59
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Ink Plus. 2X UR is fine for me. 

Message 10 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.