cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which 1.5% card would you choose: CapOne or a CU?

tag
andyaycw
Frequent Contributor

Which 1.5% card would you choose: CapOne or a CU?

Still trying to get a good set of 2-3 cards to apply for in the next several months. Curious to see what others would choose between two 1.5% cash back cards.

Capital One Cash, or Northrop Grumman Cash Rebates?

My original vote was for NGFCU, but after a bit of research on what few accounts I could find, it would appear that its underwriters do a thorough, manual review of each application. My only concern is they may shoot me down for excessive credit : income ratio. Capital One, on the other hand, I'm guessing I would have a much better chance at  just becoming a formula in their "Approve or Deny" model. I am, however, a bit wary of doing business with Capital One.

Thoughts?

Starting Score: EQ 773, TU 766
Current Score (2/25/2017): EX 813, EQ 823, TU 818
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Re: Which 1.5% card would you choose: CapOne or a CU?

Can't say much about that CU... good or bad...

I've been dealing with cap one for several years, and I've never had any trouble with them...they're not noted for raising credit limits, but I've not had any unhappiness with them.

02/01/24 Fico 8: EX 757, EQ 803, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 760 12/16/23, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 2 of 8
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

I have a Capital One Cash Rewards card and I love it! I have earned $100 cash back since July and with the 50% bonus year, I will probably end up earning $250-$300 a year. When it gets to $200, i plan to request a check so that i can deposit it into savings. There is a $39 annual fee but it more than pays for itself through the rewards. You can apply for the one with no AF but it requires excellent credit. I have a $2500 limit and I charge about $1500 a month and then PIF.

Capital One clears your payments slow at first as they want to make sure you have sufficient funds. Once you get a few good payments in with them, the payment clears the following day after initiating the payment. Their mobile banking app is very user friendly and it has a lot more desktop account features than others. Some people say that their customer service is poor, but I haven't experienced that at all. In fact, it has been quite the opposite.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 3 of 8
Jkusa
Valued Member

Don't be afraid of Capital One. They helped re-establish my credit when I declared bankrupcy 5 years ago with both an auto loan and a CC. Just understand that it can be difficult to get a CLI from them, otherwise I've had no issues at all.

Recommend

src="http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/i/custom/FFC_Icon.gif">Starting Score: 652
Current Score: EQ 685 TU 683 EX 699 (their sites FAKO) all as of 03/02/13
Goal Score: 700

Message 4 of 8
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

How about the Barclays Priceline Rewards Visa card for 2% everything?

Message 5 of 8
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Capital One Cash Back has been a good card for me.   I'd recommend you try the prequalify and see if they offer that card.  If they do, there is high probabiliy of final approval.

Message 6 of 8
lithium78
Established Contributor

CapOne is only a good option if you aren't interested in ever increasing your CL.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Message 7 of 8
thom02099
Valued Contributor

I think if you look beyond the initial application process, you've probably already answered your own question.Smiley Happy

Which one is more likely to give you a higher CL to begin with?   With which card are you more likely to get to that $5K threshold that seems to be the point where more prime cards can come your way?  Which issuer is more likely to give you a CLI as you grow with your card?  Which issuer has the more superior customer service?  Call both of them, ask a generic question that could apply to either one, and see what the anwers are.  What's the potential for other cards and/or financial arrangements with the issuer if you need them, ie, loans or lines of credit? 

If I were in your shoes I would go with the credit union.  Though it might be a bit tougher to get (or not), the benefits, in my opinion, outweigh going with the also ran.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.