cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which AMEX cards are in the same family of cards?

tag
duckSF
Established Member

Which AMEX cards are in the same family of cards?

I’m going to apply for a couple more AMEX cards but I remember last time they said you can’t have a card that’s in the same family of the one you already have. Is there a cheat sheet that shows which cards are in the same family?
15 REPLIES 15
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Which AMEX cards are in the same family of cards?

Chase has a restriction on Sapphire cards.

There is no such “family” restriction in AMEX. I now have 3 MR cards, have had 2 Delta cards at the same time in the past.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

As long as you're doing it in INCOGNITO mode it's easy to do.

Charge - Green/Gold/Platinum - pick the highest option you're comfortable with for at least 12 months or you will need to cancel it to get a higher option

CM/BCE/BCP - Cash

ED/EDP/Blue - MR

Delta

Hilton

Etc. 

The other caveat is that you can generally go for Charge + Revolver but, not 2 of the same 

Message 3 of 16
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

No such restriction on Amex cards.

The only restrictions on Amex is you can only have up to 5 revolvers.  They can be from whatever product family.  You can have 5 Delta cards and they won't care.

You can have as many charge cards as you want, and they don't count toward the 5 revolver limit.

You can only get 2 revolver approvals in a 90 day period.  Charge cards do not count towards that limit.

Signup bonuses are once in a lifetime.  Once you've had the SUB for a particular card, you can never get it again.  So you want to wait for the best possible offer to make those approvals count.

Message 4 of 16
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The other caveat is that you can generally go for Charge + Revolver but, not 2 of the same 

Not true, or at least, not anymore.  You just can't do more than 2 revolvers within 90 days.  I've seen reports of two revolver approvals on the same day.  And I've personally gotten two charge cards on the same day.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrDisco99 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Not true, or at least, not anymore.  You just can't do more than 2 revolvers within 90 days.  I've seen reports of two revolver approvals on the same day.  And I've personally gotten two charge cards on the same day.

Hmm.... I guess I need to start paying attn to Amex again since I haven't been after them for bonuses with the advent of the constant popup issue.

Message 6 of 16
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@MrDisco99 wrote:

The only restrictions on Amex is you can only have up to 5 revolvers.  They can be from whatever product family.  You can have 5 Delta cards and they won't care.

You can have as many charge cards as you want, and they don't count toward the 5 revolver limit.

You can only get 2 revolver approvals in a 90 day period.  Charge cards do not count towards that limit.

Signup bonuses are once in a lifetime.  Once you've had the SUB for a particular card, you can never get it again.  So you want to wait for the best possible offer to make those approvals count.

You can have more than 5 revolvers. There are people here in the double digits.

Message 7 of 16
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@MrDisco99 wrote:

You can have more than 5 revolvers. There are people here in the double digits.

FT: "You can only earn one new account bonus for each card issued by American Express in the USA. We do not know precisely how far back American Express looks to see if you have previously held the same card, but there is anecdotal evidence that the Customer Service database looks back only seven years. This means that if you cancelled a card in 2007 or earlier, and have not held it since, you will probably qualify for a new account bonus in 2015."

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1749111-once-lifetime-bonus-poli...

And exceeding 5 revolvers is definitely possible, but few people seem to have the income and scores to go beyond 5.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 8 of 16
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@wasCB14 wrote:

And exceeding 5 revolvers is definitely possible, but few people seem to have the income and scores to go beyond 5.

Oddly, there are some cases here where people have much more modest income and scores that have 6 revolvers.  On the other hand, you have people like me that have a few decades of experience with Amex, high scores, good income, and ran 6 digits of personal spend through Amex last year where it's very iffy.  I have no "you're preapproved" pages showing for any Amex revolvers (only the Green charge card), so I am honestly not sure if I would be approved for a 6th or not.  I might find out in the spring if I go for yet another Delta personal or business card.

I do want to say that the CSR that mentioned you can only have one card from each family was certainly misinformed.  That is not the case whatsoever.

Message 9 of 16
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

There's no restriction on that.  Many people have a BCE and a BCP or multiple point cards. As far as "family restrictions," the only one that comes to mind is that one can't PC out of a particular family of cards. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.