cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Bank can never get your Business Again?

tag
atarvuzdar
Established Contributor

Re: Which Bank can never get your Business Again?

Probably only Citizen's Bank for me. They were mostly an uncaring institution and way back when I was living paycheck to paycheck and before laws regulated it, they would notoriously post charges to my account on payday before posting my direct deposit at the end of the day, resulting in overdraft after overdraft after overdraft. Difficult time in my life and they didn't make it easier. I could've been more responsible. When I went to my local branch to close down the account, the teller tried to offer me a pre-qualified CC offer for their 2% CB card at the time. Said he'd never seen an offer with as high a limit as they were offering me. I politely declined.

 

Ironically, I switched from them to BOA who was offering a $500 bonus for opening a checking account at the time, performing $X in direct deposits each month and continuing that for I think a 6 month period. My only issue with BOA is their savings account APY% is atrocious. Otherwise, they've treated me like gold unlike many peoples' experiences, apparently!

FICO 8: EQ 846 / TU 836 / EX 832
AMEX Platinum / BofA Cash Rewards Visa Sig $99,900 / Chase CSR $43,400 / Citi Double Cash $39,600 / AMEX EveryDay $30,000 / Discover It $26,000 / Gemini $25,000 / JetBlue $25,000 / Chase Freedom Unlimited $22,500
Message 131 of 140
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

Re: Which Bank can never get your Business Again?

There are a couple of institutions I don't like.

 

Regions Bank: they play games with positing transactions in your checking account to generate overdraft fees. I had my direct deposit show up on Friday and I scheduled my ACH bill payments the following Monday. Somehow they claimed I was overdrawn. How does a direct deposit not post the day the bank receives it? That's BS.

 

Bank of America: I will not use them as my primary bank. One time, I went to a branch and they were busy. I needed to deposit about $3k in cash. Someone working there walks me out to the ATM, which proceeded to eat about $1k of my money and not credit it to my account. The employee witnessed this and could do nothing but call the customer service line. I got the money back after about 3 months of waiting. Just because they didn't have enough tellers. So I will use them as a secondary bank or for a credit card, but not for most of my business.


There are a couple I find to just be lackluster but not terrible, like Citi and Truist. Nothing too exciting going on there, but they are fine. Comenity is a little annoying with their computer issues lately, but I guess they are ok. TD Bank/Target is working my last nerve because I haven't gotten a credit limit increase in 4 years, despite a flawless payment history and usage every single month. 

 

Message 132 of 140
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

Re: Which Bank can never get your Business Again?


@DogwoodLynx wrote:

@Gregory1776 wrote:

How do they take a "one hundred and fifty dollars" check and turn it into a   "fifteen thousand dollars" check?


I mean, that's what that line is there for, right?? 


Wish I could get that lucky!


Do it with your tax return? 🙃

Message 133 of 140
Spotsy
Frequent Contributor

Re: Which Bank can never get your Business Again?

Hmmmm...for me:

 

Logix CU (Lockheed Martin CU) - ugh, smarter banking...somewhere else.

Virginia CU - Paperwork wanted on a high dollar car with 40% down...got tired of it and went to Interior FCU. Got a lower rate and all wrapped up in 48 hours. I guess they (VACU) likes smaller deals else they get scared 😳.

FICO 8: TU:831 / EQ:837 / EX:827 as of 12/25/2023
Message 134 of 140
Traveler101
Established Contributor

Re: Which Bank can never get your Business Again?

For 2023 I'm probably phasing out some of Capital one and definitely shutting down Barclay's. These are my oldest accounts. While I will keep my oldest open with C1 I'm going to reduce their limits. I had so many issues with USB in the beginning. They have really come around in offers. 4 months with them and a balance transfer offer "0" for 6 months and 2.9 bal transfer fee. C1, a balance transfer offer no transfer fee and a low 19% interest to save me money. Umm, no thanks, i dont need that kind of love. As USB raises the limit, C1 will be reduced. Barclay's my second oldest card hasn't seen a cli in almost 7 years. For years I only had Barclay's and C1. They never grew with me and nothing for loyalty. I will close down to only 1 Barclay's card and merge the cl. That's the only way that one will see a cli.

Message 135 of 140
hackersmovie
New Contributor

Re: Which Bank can never get your Business Again?


@atarvuzdar wrote:

 

Ironically, I switched from them to BOA who was offering a $500 bonus for opening a checking account at the time, performing $X in direct deposits each month and continuing that for I think a 6 month period. My only issue with BOA is their savings account APY% is atrocious. Otherwise, they've treated me like gold unlike many peoples' experiences, apparently!


Worst:

Capital One - I opened a QS card and thought, okay I'll build a relationship with them as I was looking for a secondary bank. I opened a checking and savings account. Moved 1k into each and they IMMEDIATELY shut them down. When I called to ask why I couldn't access those accounts -  their reply: "I'm not exactly sure but, we can't do business with you anymore". I'll likely keep the QS a bit longer (opened 4/22) but, then it's bye-bye.

 

Wells Fargo - I had a mortgage with them back in 2007. I got a month behind so the next month I sent a double payment. They returned it. When I called to ask about it they said they can only accept "payment in full". I was like, er, that's what I sent! They said I didn't include the late fee. Okay, month 3 I send 3 full payments and 2 late payments. They returned it. Apparently their fees are variable! So I called and asked how am I supposed to send you "payment in full" if I have NO IDEA what the amount owed is. They said wait for a statement. Around the time I should get a statement (mind you, 4 months now "past due") I instead got a letter of intent to foreclose! I called immediately to the foreclosure department, got a total amount due and cut a check that day. They returned it.  I took the check voided it and went and rented a house and let it foreclose.

 

Best:

BofA for me! I know a lot don't like them but, they've been awesome for me. (Same for Credit One, I have their 5x Amex and get 5% back on Gas and Groceries plus they've sent monthly 'bonus' categories like Amazon and Walmart. I do have a $95 af but, I've easily earned double that in about 7 months.)

Personal Cards:


Business Cards:



FICO 8: Equifax - 686 / Transunion - 727 / Experian - 678
FICO 9: Equifax - 659 / Transunion - 776 / Experian - 673
Message 136 of 140
Suzette2
Frequent Contributor

Re: Which Bank can never get your Business Again?


@CreditCharmer wrote:

I feel like for one reason or the other, there is a bank that come hell or high water, you'll never do business with them again.  This disdain can be based on a bad experience referencing a credit card, mortgage, bank acct etc.  

 

What say you?  Who have you written off? 

For the record, hands down, mine is Wells Fargo.  If they were the last bank on earth, I'd use cash! 


Capital one.  I detest them.   I have had the same bucketed card and out of principle I ask every month for an increase.  Barely.  The last 2 straws:  1: I did a preapproval....zip: offered only a secured when my curren is NOT and I have never been late but my scores have improved dramatically.  2: My DH applied and they wanted TAX returns...    That's it.  I just charge 10 a month for a recurring bill and pay it. 

6/20 :12/22 :
Message 137 of 140
Jeffster1
Valued Contributor

Re: Which Bank can never get your Business Again?


@Suzette2 wrote:

@CreditCharmer wrote:

I feel like for one reason or the other, there is a bank that come hell or high water, you'll never do business with them again.  This disdain can be based on a bad experience referencing a credit card, mortgage, bank acct etc.  

 

What say you?  Who have you written off? 

For the record, hands down, mine is Wells Fargo.  If they were the last bank on earth, I'd use cash! 


Capital one.  I detest them.   I have had the same bucketed card and out of principle I ask every month for an increase.  Barely.  The last 2 straws:  1: I did a preapproval....zip: offered only a secured when my curren is NOT and I have never been late but my scores have improved dramatically.  2: My DH applied and they wanted TAX returns...    That's it.  I just charge 10 a month for a recurring bill and pay it. 


My Cap One QS is going bye-bye after I finish gardening and get some new cards to replace it. I see no growth in my future with Cap One.

FICO 8 (3/1/24) EX 805 EQ 824 TU 844

Current lineup as of 9/23
American Express Gold | American Express Blue Cash Everyday 11K | American Express Blue Cash Preferred 10K I American Express Marriott Bonvoy Bevy 5K I American Express Hilton Honors Surpass 3K I Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards Visa 20K | Kinecta MyPerks Rewards MC 35K | TD Bank Double Up Visa 4K | USBank Platinum Visa 5K | BMO Harris Cash Back MasterCard 12K | Capital One SavorOne MC 3K | Capital One Walmart MC 2K | NFCU Amex 15K | NFCU CashRewards Visa 20K I Citi Best Buy Visa 10K I Macy’s Amex 6.5K I Bread Financial American Express 8K l AAA Daily Advantage Visa Signature 6K I Wells Fargo BILT World Elite MC 30K I BCU Cash Rewards Visa 8K I Chevron Techron Advantage Visa 2.5K I JCPenney Mastercard $6K I UCLA Wescom CU Rewards Visa 7K I
Message 138 of 140
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

Re: Which Bank can never get your Business Again?


@hackersmovie wrote:

They returned it.  I took the check voided it and went and rented a house and let it foreclose.

I guess, this foreclosure method may result a lawsuit. What was the outcome? I guess, with that logic, the best way was going to the branch and document the required amount that was needed and afterward, pay it in branch and get the payment receipt (by this way, they cannot void the payment). After risk mitigation, look for a refinance (if the rate is reasonable) or sell the house and buy a new one with another lender.

 

Recently, I did limited work with WF on a chekcing account. A check deposit ridiculously took ~10-15 biz days, because it was a new account!!! I discussed it with two supervisors and no outcome. After completing the SUB, I closed it.


Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 139 of 140
hackersmovie
New Contributor

Re: Which Bank can never get your Business Again?


@xenon3030 wrote:

@hackersmovie wrote:

They returned it.  I took the check voided it and went and rented a house and let it foreclose.

I guess, this foreclosure method may result a lawsuit. What was the outcome? I guess, with that logic, the best way was going to the branch and document the required amount that was needed and afterward, pay it in branch and get the payment receipt (by this way, they cannot void the payment). After risk mitigation, look for a refinance (if the rate is reasonable) or sell the house and buy a new one with another lender.

 

Recently, I did limited work with WF on a chekcing account. A check deposit ridiculously took ~10-15 biz days, because it was a new account!!! I discussed it with two supervisors and no outcome. After completing the SUB, I closed it.


It took them another 18 months but, they did foreclose. This happened in 2007. It wrecked my credit for about 3 years but, I rebuilt, saved money and bought a new house in 2017. No lawsuits were filed. I just moved on and will NEVER do business with WF ever again.

Personal Cards:


Business Cards:



FICO 8: Equifax - 686 / Transunion - 727 / Experian - 678
FICO 9: Equifax - 659 / Transunion - 776 / Experian - 673
Message 140 of 140
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.