Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which BoA Credit Card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which BoA Credit Card?

I'm going to try to reopen a closed BoA account that was opened and closed by my parents and which I've never used. According to my CR, the account was for a credit card.

Assuming that I am lucky enough to be able to get BoA to reopen the account and they let me choose a new credit card, which one should I go for? Definitely one with no annual fee, and preferably good cashback. Do they have anything akin to the Chase Freedom? (Which I love, by the way.)

Oh, and any advice for getting BoA to agree to my request to reopen a closed account that I actually never even had access to? (Meaning I don't know anything about it except what's on my CR.) Would it be easier to just walk into a bank than speak with someone over the phone? And for that matter, who do I call, since I'm not a customer of theirs currently?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which BoA Credit Card?

How long has the account been closed? Unless it was closed very recently I don't think you will have any luck trying to reopen it. BofA doesn't offer a card with rotating 5% categories like Chase Freedom or Discover It. Their Cash Rewards card is 3% on gas, 2% on groceries, 1% everything else similar to Amex BCE.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

How long has the account been closed? Unless it was closed very recently I don't think you will have any luck trying to reopen it. BofA doesn't offer a card with rotating 5% categories like Chase Freedom or Discover It. Their Cash Rewards card is 3% on gas, 2% on groceries, 1% everything else similar to Amex BCE.

It was closed September 2011. I've heard of some people who managed to resurrect 2-year-old closed accounts, which is what gave me hope.

I actually like Chase Freedom because of their Ultimate Rewards program, where you can earn extra points on purchases at a wide variety of online retailers. I'm less a fan of their rotating 5% categories, because you can only earn up to $75 on those categories, whereas with UR, there is no limit. Does BoA have anything like that?

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It was closed September 2011. I've heard of some people who managed to resurrect 2-year-old closed accounts, which is what gave me hope.

I actually like Chase Freedom because of their Ultimate Rewards program, where you can earn extra points on purchases at a wide variety of online retailers. I'm less a fan of their rotating 5% categories, because you can only earn up to $75 on those categories, whereas with UR, there is no limit. Does BoA have anything like that?

You can try calling them up to see if they'll do it - use one of the backdoor numbers listed in the sticky. Make sure they don't do a HP since you might as well apply for a new card in that case. Good luck and keep us posted!

Message 4 of 6
longtermgardener
New Contributor

BoFA too have their own online shopping similar to Chase UR and shop discover called "Add it up" . I have seen it but haven't brought anything from it.

Wallet : AMEX Costco TE 23k, BoFA 123 Visa Signature $12.5k, Marriott rewards $5k, Discover IT $1.7k, Walmart Discover $5.5k, Cap 1 Platinum $1500, Amazon $2000

Scores: EQ 712(9/28/13), EX 728 (9/28/13), TU 717 (Credit Karma 10/26/13), TU 753 Walmart (9/03/13)
Last app : 9/28/2013
Message 5 of 6
BrokaToe
Established Contributor

Yep add it up is pretty cool...you can earn up to 20% cash back from many online retailers. Plus you can use any linked account. ie. Credit card or debit card

border="0" align="left" width="450" height="90">
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.