cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which CC should I apply for as my second card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which CC should I apply for as my second card?

Hello all,

I'm an international who is building credit in the US. My first card was unsecured discover chrome with a starting CL 2000$ which I have no idea how did they approve me for it, but I was a low risk according to their risk models.

I waited 6 months to get my Experian FICO8 which just came out as an impressive 750! maybe because I kept my utilization below 5%. Transunion has me at 721 according to credit Karma. Current CL is 2500$, just 1 CC opened and credit age is 6 months.

I'm aiming for a zero APR credit card as I want to make large purchases and pay them off over the next year. I was rejected for a BoA card a month ago because I did not have enough credit history.

Any adivce on which card to next apply for?

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Which CC should I apply for as my second card?

I would suggest to try the prequalify sites such as Citibank Chase, and Amex.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 6
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Moving thread to 'Credit Cards' for additional exposure.

--UB

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX is your best bet. Try their prequalification site ... i 'm sure something will pop up

Message 4 of 6
moonkey1234
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

AMEX is your best bet. Try their prequalification site ... i 'm sure something will pop up

Yes go for amex prequal, they have 0% too. I got this for my second card with 6 months history. https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/check-for-offers/?inav=menu_cards_prequal_offer
FICO 8: EX 621 - 18 inquiries - 02/28/23
FICO 8: TU 533 - 8 inquiries - 02/24/23
FICO 8: EQ 605 - 3 inquiries - 02/24/23
BK7 Discharge - 1/31/23

Message 5 of 6
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all,

I'm an international who is building credit in the US. My first card was unsecured discover chrome with a starting CL 2000$ which I have no idea how did they approve me for it, but I was a low risk according to their risk models.

I waited 6 months to get my Experian FICO8 which just came out as an impressive 750! maybe because I kept my utilization below 5%. Transunion has me at 721 according to credit Karma. Current CL is 2500$, just 1 CC opened and credit age is 6 months.

I'm aiming for a zero APR credit card as I want to make large purchases and pay them off over the next year. I was rejected for a BoA card a month ago because I did not have enough credit history.

Any adivce on which card to next apply for?

Thanks

Your score from credit karma is a Vantage score, not a FICO score, so it doesn't count. Vantage takes different factors into consideration when creating a score, which are different from the FICO model. (To me, CK is excellent for monitoring credit reports but lousy for scores). Go to creditchecktotal and get your real FICO scores for a $1 (don't forget to cancel), so you have an idea of where the rest of your scores are sitting at. I would try the pre-qualification pages at Citi, American Express and Capital One. Forget Chase or US Bank, you'll need a bit more history for approval with them, usually. Good luck! 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.