Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Card To Get?

tag
blooro
New Contributor

Which Card To Get?

I am in need of a new credit card with a higher limit then mine.  I recently got declined from Chase for freedom card.  My scores are eq 642 and 653 tu.  Few lates but no collections.  I was thinking of HSBC or Citi.  Any suggestions would be great.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which Card To Get?

I'm a CC decline expert, I have been declined for everything but HSBC (Orchard), so as an "expert" at who will decline a credit card app, I say try the soft pull link in this thread at HSBC and see what you can get. Citi declined me for a secured card, so that tells you who is easier of those two.
Message 2 of 7
score_building
Senior Contributor

Pappy214 wrote:
I'm a CC decline expert, I have been declined for everything but HSBC (Orchard)...
as an expert, you should now know when you have a chance for a card and when to hold your horses Smiley Very Happy  things only take longer to gel if you insist on apping if you really need to be rebuilding first. 
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

True, but out of these two, HSBC is easier to get than Citi.

By the way, I am not a rebuilder, I am "a" builder. I am starting from scratch not starting over. (Apparently though to CCC's there is no difference)
Message 4 of 7
score_building
Senior Contributor

yeah, i totally hear ya- but better for you in a way since you don't also have to overcome the baggage that comes w/ rebuilding!  i bet you'll be even more psyched, after palying it cool for a few, when the offers come rolling in!  and they will if you hold fast and just build for a while...

OP, i would say citi over hsbc when you factor in hsbc's hard-to-get cli's and hard-to-get good customer service.  citi is way better and easier overall to work with ('get'), also depending on which card you select.  i think platinum select is one of citi's solid entry level cards and a better choice than anything hsbc has to offer IMHO.  obtainable with scores in the 650 plus range i'd estimate, don't know who they pull, prolly ex tho'.
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree I would rather have a Citi card over an HSBC card, in fact Citi is one I will hold out for. (Chase, Amex, Discover being the others)  but I still think HSBC will be easier to get. Just based on my experience.

OP, i would say citi over hsbc when you factor in hsbc's hard-to-get cli's and hard-to-get good customer service.  citi is way better and easier overall to work with ('get'), .

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you call Chase back? I called twice. First call, was a definate no - too many inquiries, try again in 6 months. Second call resulted in the CSR liking me a bit more and getting me approved for a $1000.00 CL card.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.