Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Cards? Need Advice

tag
BBallRain
Established Member

Which Cards? Need Advice

Hello MyFico

Need some advice on what  cards  might be  the best for my profile /situation as I move forward in my credit  journey  away from secured CC after my mortgage is fialized in the next couple of weeks.  Am planning on apping for a few cards  then letting my profile  grow for about a year and see where I am.

My Current Scores and Inq -

EX 678   7 Inq

TU 679   5 Inq 

EQ 664  7 Inq

I have a Cap 1 secured card  800 limit  -  USAA secured card 500 limit - Utilization is  about 2%  (never been late on either of  these) 

I have  one CO ($440 FP  from 2008)

Student Loans  that  had some lates in 2010  

I am planning on going after a Walmart card  and a card  from Either Home Depot or  Lowes.

I also would  like to  pick up a rewards type  card  and have read lots of  posts on the site about Barclay's Reward, Cap 1 Quicksilver and the Discover It card.

Which one is the "easiest" one  to get?  

Are any of the more "prime" cards within my reach?

thanks in advance for any light you can shed on my situation

Starting Scores (Lender Pull 7/12)
EX 500 TU 577 EQ 595

Current Scores
EX 678 (LP 9/13) TU 679 (LP 9/13) EQ 664 (myFico 10/13)

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Re: Which Cards? Need Advice

Well, your scores are still kinda low. How old are those two secured cards? If you apply now, you're looking at more toy limits at best.

I don't know why you want a bunch of store cards. You already have 2 secured cards to build a credit history with.

I would wait for the scores to improve, but if I really wanted to apply, I would go for the Sallie Mae World Mastercard (backed by Barclays), and a Discover IT (apply via amazon.com for a $75 sign-up bonus).

https://www.salliemae.com/landing/WorldCreditCard/

And I would be prepared to call for reconsideration if necessary. And I would mentally prepare myself to accept low starting limits.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 2 of 7
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

How old are your current cards and inquiries. 

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 3 of 7
BBallRain
Established Member

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Well, your scores are still kinda low. How old are those two secured cards? If you apply now, you're looking at more toy limits at best.

I don't know why you want a bunch of store cards. You already have 2 secured cards to build a credit history with.

I would wait for the scores to improve, but if I really wanted to apply, I would go for the Sallie Mae World Mastercard (backed by Barclays), and a Discover IT (apply via amazon.com for a $75 sign-up bonus).

https://www.salliemae.com/landing/WorldCreditCard/

And I would be prepared to call for reconsideration if necessary. And I would mentally prepare myself to accept low starting limits.

Thanks for the advice I will look into  that 

EX 500 TU 577 EQ 595

Current Scores

Message 4 of 7
BBallRain
Established Member

@coldnmn wrote:

How old are your current cards and inquiries. 

cards are close to  year and a half  old 

most inq are wither  about   a year  old  or  6 months - have 1 from  my  mortage  that is about 2 months  old now.

EX 500 TU 577 EQ 595

Current Scores

Message 5 of 7
CardinalRules
New Contributor

I'd do the Walmart card and maybe a Cap 1. I don't think any prime cards are within reach without a 700+ score. Get those two cards, let them age for a year while getting CLIs and you should be good to go

AMEX SPG - $8k
Citi AA Visa - $6.5k
Walmart Discover - $5.5k
Citi Forward - $3.9k
Discover More - $2.5k
Wells Fargo Cash Back - $1.9k
Message 6 of 7
lithium78
Established Contributor

With scores like yours, I was able to get a BoA 123 Cash Rewards Platinum Plus Visa and a Discover It with their highest interest rates and relatively low CLs. Your best bet, however, may be to let your inqs age off first to improve your chances.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.