cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Cards Pay for Nexus/Global Entry? Which pay for Clear?

tag
ThomasJNewton
Frequent Contributor

Which Cards Pay for Nexus/Global Entry? Which pay for Clear?

My BF's Nexus is going to expire in the next year, and he figures that he should look at getting a card that will pay for the renewal. Which pay for Clear?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Blender
Established Contributor

Re: Which Cards Pay for Nexus/Global Entry? Which pay for Clear?

@ThomasJNewton wrote:

My BF's Nexus is going to expire in the next year, and he figures that he should look at getting a card that will pay for the renewal. Which pay for Clear?

https://upgradedpoints.com/credit-cards/best-credit-cards-for-global-entry-credit/

I have the Amex green which reimburses up to $189/ year for CLEAR. I am a delta member (anyone can be, just make an account), link that to your CLEAR and iirc it brings it down to $110/ year. I'm then able to add my gf for $60 and its all covered for the $150/ year AF. We traveled a decent amount this past year and it made it worth it. 

3/2024
FICO 8

Message 2 of 15
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

An extremely large number of cards cover Global Entry.  The lowest annual fee card I am aware of that covers it is NFCU Flagship at $49.  It would seem these days the majority of $99+ annual fee cards cover PreCheck and Global Entry.  

The NEXUS question used to be simpler to answer, none in the US despite the substantially lower fee.  When Chase released the Aeroplan card recently it was the first US card to offer it, and I believe they may have rolled it out to some other cards.  I am not aware of any other issuers doing so, maybe some obscure TD Bank or City National Bank cards as they have Canadian owners?

The only cards I am aware of that fully cover CLEAR are Amex Platinum (business and personal) and personal Green, unless you have a Centurion card.

Message 3 of 15
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Blender wrote:

@ThomasJNewton wrote:

https://upgradedpoints.com/credit-cards/best-credit-cards-for-global-entry-credit/

I have the Amex green which reimburses up to $189/ year for CLEAR. I am a delta member (anyone can be, just make an account), link that to your CLEAR and iirc it brings it down to $110/ year. I'm then able to add my gf for $60 and its all covered for the $150/ year AF. We traveled a decent amount this past year and it made it worth it. 

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that's $179 a year now ($149 for Medallions and SkyMiles cardholders, still free for 360s and Diamonds).  I barely made the cut for renewal before the $149 kicked in this year.

Message 4 of 15
Aim_High
Super Contributor

For the Nexus fee, Chase has several cards where the TSA credits can also be applied for Nexus.

• Aeroplan
  • Sapphire Reserve
  • IHG Rewards Premier
  • IHG Rewards Premier Business
  • Southwest Rapid Rewards Performance Business
  • United Club Visa Infinite
  • United Explorer
  • United Quest

As @K-in-Boston said, the best option for CLEAR are the handful of AMEX cards that can reimburse it in-full, including the Centurion card, Platinum, Business Platinum, or Green charge cards.   There are discounted memberships on the AMEX DELTA AIRLINES cards (Gold/Platinum/Reserve either personal or business version) as well as the Chase UNITED AIRLINES Club Visa Infinite; Club Business, United Explorer.  

College students are eligible for discounted CLEAR membership ($60) and for veterans or active duty military ($99.)   And there are also the discounts mentioned above for members with elite status of either DELTA or UNITED loyalty programs. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 5 of 15
creditfan
Established Contributor

this one will work perfectly for you as well as reimbursed you upto $100 travel expense annualy and no AF. What more can you get

https://www.penfed.org/credit-cards/pathfinder-rewards-visa

Message 6 of 15
Blender
Established Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Blender wrote:

@ThomasJNewton wrote:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that's $179 a year now ($149 for Medallions and SkyMiles cardholders, still free for 360s and Diamonds).  I barely made the cut for renewal before the $149 kicked in this year.

Well, **bleep**. I was just deciding if the green was going to be valuable for me come August (1 year). I traveled multiple times a month, every month this past year and I love CLEAR in addition to 3x MRs. 2 people with the veterans discount barely makes the credit worth it either (159 on 150 AF). I really dont wanna pay an additional $100 for a gold upgrade when there are no AF 4x dining cards now. 

3/2024
FICO 8

Message 7 of 15
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Aim_High wrote:

For the Nexus fee, Chase has several cards where the TSA credits can also be applied for Nexus.

• Aeroplan
  • Sapphire Reserve
  • IHG Rewards Premier
  • United Explorer
  • United Quest

As @K-in-Boston said, the best option for CLEAR are the handful of AMEX cards that can reimburse it in-full, including the Centurion card, Platinum, Business Platinum, or Green charge cards.   There are discounted memberships on the AMEX DELTA AIRLINES cards (Gold/Platium/Reserve either peronal or business version) as well as the Chase UNITED AIRLINES Club Visa Infinite; Club Business, United Eplorer.  

College students are eligible for discounted CLEAR membership ($60) and for veterans or active duty military ($99.)   And there are also the discounts mentioned above for members with elite status of either DELTA or UNITED loyalty programs. 

I didn't realize this was an option.  Do I get it through id.me or somewhere on the Clear website?

Message 8 of 15
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:

• Aeroplan
  • Sapphire Reserve
  • IHG Rewards Premier
  • United Explorer
  • United Quest

As @K-in-Boston said, the best option for CLEAR are the handful of AMEX cards that can reimburse it in-full, including the Centurion card, Platinum, Business Platinum, or Green charge cards.   There are discounted memberships on the AMEX DELTA AIRLINES cards (Gold/Platium/Reserve either peronal or business version) as well as the Chase UNITED AIRLINES Club Visa Infinite; Club Business, United Eplorer.  

I didn't realize this was an option.  Do I get it through id.me or somewhere on the Clear website?

CLEAR website, @K-in-Boston.  I don't use CLEAR since it's not convenient in my normal travels but it's nice to know about this if I were to add it.   See link: 

https://www.clearme.com/member-deals

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 9 of 15
ThomasJNewton
Frequent Contributor

Clear is free for United 1Ks and Global Services members of Mileage Plus, so I get it free. My BF was a 1K last year (as a friend's companion), but is not this year. His expires in July or August and so that is why I was trying to find one for him. As a family plan member, it would only cost him $60, so that is all he needs to cover.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.