cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Cards Pay for Nexus/Global Entry? Which pay for Clear?

tag
NoHardLimits
Frequent Contributor

Re: Which Cards Pay for Nexus/Global Entry? Which pay for Clear?

I use Amex Platinum for Global Entry and Clear credits.  Spouse and I were both reimbursed for GE last month.  Clear was reimbursed at $109 United credit cardholder price of $109 and family member at $60 last year.  This year, Clear will cost $149 plus $60, so the Platinum credit will no longer cover the full price for us. 

I'm able to make good use of the various Platinum coupon book credits so it's worthwhile for me to keep the card even though the Clear costs will outstrip its credits this year.

March 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, New Revolver
FICO8:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 11 mos | New Accounts: 0/6, 1/12, 2/24 | Util: 2% | DTI: 1%
Message 11 of 15
ThomasJNewton
Frequent Contributor

@NoHardLimits wrote:

I use Amex Platinum for Global Entry and Clear credits. 

Are they separate (GE/Clear credits)?

Spouse and I were both reimbursed for GE last month.  Clear was reimbursed at $109 United credit cardholder price of $109 and family member at $60 last year.  This year, Clear will cost $149 plus $60, so the Platinum credit will no longer cover the full price for us. 

Is there a restriction on for whom you purchase it (can they even tell)? I ask as my Million Mile Companion gets Clear for free (I am a 1K and he inherits my status), and he has a platinum card, so he would pay for my BF’s Clear membership at the family plan price of $60.

Message 12 of 15
NoHardLimits
Frequent Contributor

@ThomasJNewton wrote:

@NoHardLimits wrote:

I use Amex Platinum for Global Entry and Clear credits. 

Are they separate (GE/Clear credits)?

Spouse and I were both reimbursed for GE last month.  Clear was reimbursed at $109 United credit cardholder price of $109 and family member at $60 last year.  This year, Clear will cost $149 plus $60, so the Platinum credit will no longer cover the full price for us. 

Is there a restriction on for whom you purchase it (can they even tell)? I ask as my Million Mile Companion gets Clear for free (I am a 1K and he inherits my status), and he has a platinum card, so he would pay for my BF’s Clear membership at the family plan price of $60.

The Global Entry and Clear credits are considered to be two distinct benefits for Amex Platinum.  Global Entry can be credited every 4 years for the primary cardmember and each authorized user.  In my case, I am the primary and spouse is the AU.  We each received a $100 credit last month.  Clear credit is capped at $189 per year for the entire account.  I received $169 in credits last year ($109 + $60), and I expect to receive $189 later this year ($149 + $60 = $209 which exceeds the $189 cap).  The Clear charges just need to be billed by Clear and paid with Platinum.  Spouse and I are billed separately by Clear.

March 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, New Revolver
FICO8:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 11 mos | New Accounts: 0/6, 1/12, 2/24 | Util: 2% | DTI: 1%
Message 13 of 15
issac2x
Frequent Contributor

Certain credit unions offer a no annual fee card with these benefits. @creditfan mentioned Penfed I'll add StarOne CU as another. Though it is geofenced to California unless you qualify for eligibility another way.

Message 14 of 15
ThomasJNewton
Frequent Contributor

@issac2x wrote:

Certain credit unions offer a no annual fee card with these benefits. @creditfan mentioned Penfed I'll add StarOne CU as another. Though it is geofenced to California unless you qualify for eligibility another way.

Thanks for the suggestion. I wish more of them offered Nexus, as that is what I really want. I can easily qualify for StarOne membership, and I am a PenFed member from before they took away all the restrictions. I have to decide what I want to do next (or maybe first). :-) I am currently 0/96, so I have some room for new cards at the moment. :-)

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.