cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Credit Card Should I apply for balance transfer?

tag
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

Re: Which Credit Card Should I apply for balance transfer?

I would pay off the Discover card first. See if they offer you a 0% BT offer, ask for a CLI after it post $0 Balance and then transfer the rest that are not 0% interest to the Discover (assuming they DO offer you a BT).  It's a gamble, but I have found Discover loves to be maxed, will offer CLI's once you pay it off and also love BT's. Pay 2x minimum payment on the others in the meantime if you can. Good Luck!

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 11 of 15
Chris679
Established Contributor

I know this sucks to hear but there isn't going to be any balance transfer coming to the rescue. There is a reason Chase gave you s $500 limit. It's time to buckle down and pay these off asap, highest interest rates first.
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chris679 wrote:
I know this sucks to hear but there isn't going to be any balance transfer coming to the rescue. There is a reason Chase gave you s $500 limit. It's time to buckle down and pay these off asap, highest interest rates first.

Agreed.

Utilization will at least need to go below 50% to get ANY worthwhile approval.

Message 13 of 15
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Card Utiliziation 63% 

I don't suggest applying for anything based on that.  You might get an approval but even if you do the limit will be low (making the card useless for BT) and the APR will be high.

Your own OP and experience even indicate this.  You bolded the text that is directly relevant.

@Anonymous wrote:

Although utilization is high almost on all, it makes sense to pay the ones with the highest interest down first.

If saving money on interest is the top priority, yes.

If avoiding adverse action (which will likely make utilization worse) is the top priority then utilization needs to be the focus.  Cards over 90% need to be lowered ASAP.  Everything needs to be brought down step by step after that.

With 63% overall and three cards over 90%, utilization needs to be the focus.

@Anonymous wrote:

Also, any thoughts on CLI increases? Discover was denied not awhile ago and the same with Capital One.

CLI's (the I already stands for Increase) -- just like any other credit decision -- are based on your credit.  Utilization is a major factor.

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

Message 14 of 15
BUN
Established Contributor

Once you get these cards paid down and off, please only charge what you can afford tp pay in full. If you live beyond your means, you are doing yourself a great disservice. Instead of moving around your debt, you must face that you have abused credit, and make some changes going forward. If I were you, I would put all my cards in the sock drawer and stop use immediately. You have got to create a realistic budget, and stick to it. Dig yourself out of the hole, and don't get yourself back into debt. You can do it, you just need more education. This forum is a great start! Smiley Happy You won't be getting any balance transfers or CLI's with that credit score, so it's time to buckle down and do the debt snowball.

Starting Score : 575 May, 2013
Current Scores: EQ 716 6 INQ TU 745 4 INQ EX 726 3 INQ Last INQ December 2015, In the GC until Jan 2017.
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.