cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Credit Card should be my next one??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which Credit Card should be my next one??

Im happy to report that since taking positive action to improve my credit, score it is now in the 740s.
After years of existing in the 500s I never thought I'd see the day!
This happened in about 8 or 9 mos.
One of my goals was to drive my score up to qualify for a CC that has really juicy travel benefits. But I'm worried. My Credit history is still not that long. I have have Self lender and a secured Cap 1 CC. I dont want to waste a pull. So 2 questions:
What CC would you suggest?
and What CC might I qualify for?
14 REPLIES 14
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Which Credit Card should be my next one??

With a thin file like yours, "juicy travel" cards may need to wait a bit longer.

Have you checked any of the prequal sites?
How old is your oldest account? What do you spend your money on? Any negatives? Where are you getting your score from?
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Im happy to report that since taking positive action to improve my credit, score it is now in the 740s.
After years of existing in the 500s I never thought I'd see the day!
This happened in about 8 or 9 mos.
One of my goals was to drive my score up to qualify for a CC that has really juicy travel benefits. But I'm worried. My Credit history is still not that long. I have have Self lender and a secured Cap 1 CC. I dont want to waste a pull. So 2 questions:
What CC would you suggest?
and What CC might I qualify for?

With a thin file like yours your choices are pretty limited. Is the only card you have the secured cap one? 

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Last prequal attempt was last week at Chase with whom i bank. No dice.
Oldest active credit usage account Sept 18. Not counting utilities whicj goes back a couple years.
Most money goes to business expenses (gas, tools, auto repair) as I'm self employed.
Score from myFico: 740 704 744
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes thats my only card. Plus im on the Self Lender program.
Message 5 of 15
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Your file is pretty young and thin. Chase usually "waits" till your oldest is around a year old.
You may need to run the list of "usual suspects " such as Discover and Amex if they fit your spending pattern. Neither is a averse to younger or thin files.
Both have prequal on their website. I would look into one of those, then sit tight and build payment history till your oldest is a year old, then give Chase a try again if any of their cards fit your needs.
Message 6 of 15
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Yes thats my only card. Plus im on the Self Lender program.

ou're in the beginning stages of a rebuild so odds of obtaining a travel card right now are not good, however it's a goal you can work toward.

Have you checked to see if you prequalify for an unsecured Discover IT?

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 7 of 15
HighAchiever
Established Contributor

I say go for a Discover card and build some history with them... Smiley Happy

“Most people work just hard enough not to get fired and get paid just enough not to quit.”
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Inquiries: Experian - 4 | Equifax - 3 | TransUnion - 3

Message 8 of 15
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Your score is good but your credit history is thin. Check the prequals for Amex and Discover. Amex has some good points cards that you may like for travel. A card like the Chase CSP is a little out of reach just yet, but the aforementioned Amex is awesome! Congrats on your awesome rebuild and good luck!!!

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks I'll check out Discover
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.