cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Credit Cards do I need to just close and which to keep??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which Credit Cards do I need to just close and which to keep??

Ok so I do have a "few" credit cards that i am wondering if they are just hurting me by keeping them all together...I would like your advice/opinion please

JC Penny-CL 2,600

Target- CL 200

Walmart-1,900

Palais Royal-CL 500

Kohl's-CL 700

Old Navy- CL 2500

Best Buy-CL 500

Conn's- CL 1,500

US Bank- CL 500

Amazon-CL 1,500

These all have 0 Balances..I JUST paid them ALL OFF last Month!!! Smiley Happy

Crapone- CL 750-645 balance

I JUST aquired these

Home Depot-CL 1,000-0 balance

Childrens Place-700- 44.00 balance

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Which Credit Cards do I need to just close and which to keep??

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok so I do have a "few" credit cards that i am wondering if they are just hurting me by keeping them all together...I would like your advice/opinion please

JC Penny-CL 2,600

Target- CL 200

Walmart-1,900

Palais Royal-CL 500

Kohl's-CL 700

Old Navy- CL 2500

Best Buy-CL 500

Conn's- CL 1,500

US Bank- CL 500

Amazon-CL 1,500

These all have 0 Balances..I JUST paid them ALL OFF last Month!!! Smiley Happy

Crapone- CL 750-645 balance

I JUST aquired these

Home Depot-CL 1,000-0 balance

Childrens Place-700- 44.00 balance

How long have you had each of these accounts??

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 10
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I wouldn't say any of the cards are necessarily hurting you. As long as you're able to manage all of the cards I don't think you'll have any trouble. Plus you've got a couple GE cards so they'll grow with you if you treat them right. 

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ooop's I forgot to mention that I have had these since 2010.

Message 4 of 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Ooop's I forgot to mention that I have had these since 2010.

I wouldn't close any of them.

Have you attempted a CLI with US Bank??

Also, have you tried the Cap1 Exec. number for a CLI??

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 10
TheConductor
Established Contributor

Keep everything unless you are paying annual fees somewhere on a card you have no use for.

Limit future apps to store cards, or adopt a one-in/one-out approach to them.

Where you really want to go from here is a major bank card. Chase/Citi/BoA/etc, or Amex.  

You have several respectable credit limits, so I'm guessing your score has improved noticeably from the late 2010 ones in your sig. Do you know your current-ish FICO?

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well the one that frustrates me the most is Target...I have been there @$200 since I first applied and they WILL NOT increase whatsoever...I did try once for US Bank & Capital One but was denied. This was I think maybe last year...I haven't since. Then I did try Citi Simplicity but was told that there were too many inquries which I have NOT app'd like I did in 2010..I get pretty discouraged with the bank cards because it seems like its ALWAYS no...

Message 7 of 10
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

If all of your cards were opened in 2010 and you think you have too many, you could close some (although it's not really necessary unless you have any AFs). Definitely don't close your oldest card or your one with the highest CL.

Message 8 of 10
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@scientifics wrote:

If all of your cards were opened in 2010 and you think you have too many, you could close some (although it's not really necessary unless you have any AFs). Definitely don't close your oldest card or your one with the highest CL.

Closing your oldest card if it has a high AF or you don't use it isn't really an issue. It will continue to report for your AAoA for the next 10 years. 

Message 9 of 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I agree, if you want to close your oldest account it is OK due to it reporting for 10 years after closing.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.