Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Route to go?? Confused....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which Route to go?? Confused....

First I want to thank everyone for everything I have learned from the site in the last 6 months or lurking.  

Currently I have a Journey Card and a Finer Hut account. I've had both since January. I went to talk to my future Mortgage agent a few days ago and he wants me to get at least  1 if not 2 more revolving accounts as soon as possible, which I'm OK with. I do a lot of international travel and I would feel so much better about  traveling if didn't have to take my debt card. 

My question is I use the Capital One the Pre qual tool wants me to apply for the Venture Card, Quick Silver and the Platinum Prestige. Do they really `want me to go from a 300 journey to a prime card, or should I try for a lesser card.   Also would a Discover IT be a good option?

My FAKO's range from range from 646 to 702.  I'll be getting my Fico's from this site as soon as this months CC bill reports. 

Thanks for any advice. 

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which Route to go?? Confused....

Assuming your fakos are remotely close to your real scores you should have no problem with any of those cards...I would personally recommend the qs for no af and decent rewards but the venture has a good bonus and better rewards for a reasonable af. If you've had good payment history on the journey c1 is pretty easy to get in with their prime cards.
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Incase it matters I did have a studnet loan and paid it off over 10 years. Never a late payment. 

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Check chase prequal as well as they are usy pretty accurate, the freedom would probably got your profile pretty well too...unfortunately the discover prequal is useless but again without your actual scores it's difficult to advise
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

My cc should report this week and then I will get the real FICO scores. Being a holiday weekend I actually have a little time to do some research so I wanted to take advantage of it.      I talked to 3 different Capital One Rep's on chat, but everything they told me seem very scripted like it was all copy and paste or something.  They offered absolutely no useful info. 

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

i would recommend at least one cap 1 for the fact you won't get a FTF Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 19
NRB525
Super Contributor

Apply for the Quicksilver no AF version. Do it now. You won't be disappointed.

No AF, No FTF, no games with how to redeem, just a solid credit card.

Good luck!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 19
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

I wouldnt apply for anything until after getting the FICO scores.

Try to apply for cards that will most likely pull from different credit bureaus, and apply all at the same time to try and hide any successes from the next applications, as they will lower the FICO scores once they report to the bureaus. The inquiries report immediately of course.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 8 of 19
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

I wouldnt apply for anything until after getting the FICO scores.

Try to apply for cards that will most likely pull from different credit bureaus, and apply all at the same time to try and hide any successes from the next applications, as they will lower the FICO scores once they report to the bureaus. The inquiries report immediately of course.

The mortgage agent said to get some cards. The most likely good response on an app right now will be the Quicksilver, and will include the basics of a long term card. Other cards may be determined by knowing the FICO scores and fine tuning rewards requirements, but doubtful they will be noticeably better than the QS.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

he Capital One the Pre qual tool wants me to apply for the Venture Card, Quick Silver 

Apply NOW

1) Venture 

Do Venture FIRST

then do 

2) Quicksilver

Get both, one after the other and you will only use up 3 inquiries instead of 6.

Just do it, you won't regret it unless you are averse to a 10-15K credit card....  The Quicksilver will be substantially less but the point of this excercise is to quickly get you 2 credit lines...this will do it.  As an added bonus, both cards are pretty decent (in rewards) in the grand scheme of things.

If you have any baddies on your report, I would be wary of Discover...they are pretty particular about clean credit reports.

The sooner you can get the cards, the quicker they will get onto your credit report.  The quicker they get on your credit report, the farther away they will be from the date of your Mortgage app.  This is a good thing.

Why are you still reading?   Go apply for the Venture and QS already.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.