cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Store Cards are Worth it for the Coupons?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which Store Cards are Worth it for the Coupons?

I've seen scattered mentions that some store cards, while not giving particularly good every-day benefits, may be worth having because of the special sales and coupons they sometimes offer.  I have one card like that--Brooks Brothers--which always seems to have some promotion or another going on.  Are there others worth having for every day shopping?  

(I'm in the midst of upgrading my wardrobe, so particularly interested in mens clothing.)

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which Store Cards are Worth it for the Coupons?

Toys R Us card for use in store. 8% back in rewards and 10% off the entire store (except giftcards) when you use the card on a Thursday. Kind of like 18% back.

Message 2 of 16
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

Macy's and Kohls have very good coupons

Message 3 of 16
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Fellow BB cardholder here - my one store card. I use the coupons occasionally, but the the timing of sales or coupons doesn't really determine when I shop. The amount the card has saved me doesn't compare to a nice travel bonus.

For clothes (and many other things) that are sold through multiple retailers, I find a Citi card with Price Rewind is the way to go.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the JCPenney card. They almost always have some precentage off for using the card. Sometimes up to 30%. Theres also the rewards system thats seperate, but you can link the accounts. Cash coupons at an amount of money spent and punch card system on select items for a discounted one after you buy so many.
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

carsons/bonton/younkers/etc  not only because a 20-30k CL is super easy to attain, but they have frequent 20 off 50 coupons that also work for cosmetics for 10 off 50. They come by mail and email which is nice. In addition they send out 15 or 20% off coupons that do work for any brand and that is hard to beat.

Also sometimes they will have specials where if you make any amount purchase in a specific department you will automatically get 4 coupon cards.  Split up the transactions and cha-ching.

I would of course only combine any of the above with sales, or free gift with purchase to sweeten the deal, and also I would use a shopping portal to save even more.

Message 6 of 16
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

The only Store cards I have with the exception of Macy's ( I have in the past just not atm) I shop at a lot. I have the American Eagle Visa, BestBuy Visa, Amazon Store ( Also the Visa by chase), and the Kohls card. Amazon store and the Kohls offer the best return IMHO with Kohls offering a ton of coupons for card holders on top of what they offer and since I have Amazon prime it is a 5% CB card on amazon purchases. 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 7 of 16
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Don't forget to weigh how much value you'd have to get from coupons before it exceeds the value of a $100-200+ sign up bonus on a general use card.

Message 8 of 16
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

JCPenney has a rewards system that will give you a few bucks after you spend so much.  As far as their coupons...you can usually get 5% more if you have JCP card versus someone who doesn't (unless you're spending a lot it doesn't make much difference).  

My favorite store card has to be Lowes.  Catch them at the right time and their 0% promotions are sweet...especially when buying big ticket items.  

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lowes, kohls, Walmart. Buy what you can thru ebates and pick up in store or ship.

For the most part even JCPenney if you search around for a coupon code you can get the same discount but it's automatic if you use their card and it builds up the rewards like kohls. Again ebates was some amazing 15% back at jcpenny few days ago.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.