Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Top Tier MasterCard?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which Top Tier MasterCard?

Would say Citi Prestige is up your alley, but since Citi is changing stuff with their cards...may want to wait to see changes before applying.
Sounds like your travel/stays will let the card pay for itself from current perks/bonuses.
The points structure won't be of much use to you since you have the platinum & CSR already. But, again, it has perks you'd get your money's worth from and is a 0% ftf MC that can cover you while traveling out of the US.
Message 31 of 56
wasCB14
Super Contributor

A Delta flyer who was going to put serious spend on a MC might give serious thought to the BofA Virgin Atlantic card. Or an AA flyer the Citi AA Executive, despite the nerfs.

I can't think of the last time I was only able to use a MC (though I hear some schools are fussy and may take MC but not Visa for tuition payments).

My IHG card's annual night probably gives me more in marginal value than a rewards-focused card would, once I take into account that most of my spend goes on Amex and Visa cards.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 32 of 56
digitek
Established Contributor

@jbestman007 wrote:

The MasterCard would be to cover all my bases since I travel internationally and never want to be caught unprepared, when it comes to networks. I don't care about SUBs or point chasing. I care more about member benefits, hence the top tier cards. 

You mention international travel specifically so maybe one of the true Chip+PIN Mastercards from FirstTech Credit Union would satisfy you.  They are Chip+PIN priority which is needed sometimes internationally.  At least that way the card could have a niche need to fill =D  As you can see there aren't that many "top tier" Mastercards.  I don't have any MC's myself and I am OK with that, I think there is almost no difference in acceptance between Visa and MC, sometimes Amex is left out, though.

Message 33 of 56
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Your list isn't even close to top-tier or flagship. Try:

• JP Morgan Chase Palladium Visa
  • Citigroup Chairman Card
  • American Express Centurion Card
  • Stratus Rewards Visa
  • Coutts World Silk Card
  • Bank of Dubai First Royale MasterCard

And there's even more.

I'm curious what these benefits you value so much are. If it's something like global entry, rather than pay $550 for a platinum, you could get a Bonvoy Brilliant for $450 (especially if you stay at Marriott properties), a Cap1 Venture for $0 1st year $95 after, or a United Explorer for $0 1st year 95 after. All offer the same $100 reimbursement for global entry.

Honestly, it sounds like you're after the wallet bling, not looking to extract the best value and benefits. If that's your thing, that's your thing. I'm not gonna judge. Most people won't know or care what cards you have, though. They might get impressed by the clang of dropping the platinum or Reserve on a table, but anyone that knows their true value will just see a bunch of cards that don't complement one another.

Message 34 of 56
xaximus
Valued Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Your list isn't even close to top-tier or flagship. Try:

• JP Morgan Chase Palladium Visa
  • Citigroup Chairman Card
  • American Express Centurion Card
  • Stratus Rewards Visa
  • Coutts World Silk Card
  • Bank of Dubai First Royale MasterCard

And there's even more.

I'm curious what these benefits you value so much are. If it's something like global entry, rather than pay $550 for a platinum, you could get a Bonvoy Brilliant for $450 (especially if you stay at Marriott properties), a Cap1 Venture for $0 1st year $95 after, or a United Explorer for $0 1st year 95 after. All offer the same $100 reimbursement for global entry.

Honestly, it sounds like you're after the wallet bling, not looking to extract the best value and benefits. If that's your thing, that's your thing. I'm not gonna judge. Most people won't know or care what cards you have, though. They might get impressed by the clang of dropping the platinum or Reserve on a table, but anyone that knows their true value will just see a bunch of cards that don't complement one another.

+1. Couldn't have said it better myself. I think OP is looking more for the status rather then actually using the cards to maximize the values they can provide. Top tier is subjective. What use is a AmEx Centurion when the restuarant you go to doesn't take AmEx? At the end of the day, OP can do as they want but keep in mind, no point in getting cards that aren't providing good value.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 35 of 56
jbestman007
Contributor

I am really surprised at some of the responses I am getting here. I did not think I had to explain tiers. Maybe, I should have used a different term. I apologize for the confusion. Thankfully, some people got what I meant and have actually offered great suggestions. 

I also did not think I had to explain value system and how for the right customer, certain cards over deliver in value. I did not think I had to explain that here. Not MyFico. No. I am not looking for a card for the bling. Once again, I did my research and these cards meet my needs. They are also rated best in class for a reason. Not getting them for status, I am not 12. I travel. I will be in Africa this September and England in October. To highlight one benefit. Most cards have travel insurance but not all have trip cancellation. With the Sapphire, if my trip is canceled I get reimbursed up to $10,000. If bags are delayed or flight delayed. Up to $500 for my trouble. Again, some cards have these but Chase is rated number one for customer service (international travel). Offering a service and honoring a service are two different things. Yes, the annual fee is $450 but you get an yearly travel credit of $300. There are just soooo many benefits to these cards, too many to enumerate here.  

Of course, it will not be worth the cost to someone that would not maximize its benefits. Again, I have done my research and these cards would net me thousands in value compared to the cost.  Not to mention convenience. Just spending a few minutes researching Sapphire would let you know Chase is losing money on it. There is a good reason for that. Those that can maximize its benefits come up ahead every single time. 

Message 36 of 56
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@jbestman007 wrote:

I am really surprised at some of the responses I am getting here. I did not think I had to explain tiers. Maybe, I should have used a different term. I apologize for the confusion. Thankfully, some people got what I meant and have actually offered great suggestions. 

I also did not think I had to explain value system and how for the right customer, certain cards over deliver in value. I did not think I had to explain that here. Not MyFico. No. I am not looking for a card for the bling. Once again, I did my research and these cards meet my needs. They are also rated best in class for a reason. Not getting them for status, I am not 12. I travel. I will be in Africa this September and England in October. To highlight one benefit. Most cards have travel insurance but not all have trip cancellation. With the Sapphire, if my trip is canceled I get reimbursed up to $10,000. If bags are delayed or flight delayed. Up to $500 for my trouble. Again, some cards have these but Chase is rated number one for customer service (international travel). Offering a service and honoring a service are two different things. Yes, the annual fee is $450 but you get an yearly travel credit of $300. There are just soooo many benefits to these cards, too many to enumerate here.  

Of course, it will not be worth the cost to someone that would not maximize its benefits. Again, I have done my research and these cards would net me thousands in value compared to the cost.  Not to mention convenience. Just spending a few minutes researching Sapphire would let you know Chase is losing money on it. There is a good reason for that. Those that can maximize its benefits come up ahead every single time. 

Yes, but this is really why you got the responses you got!  It is, as many people have said, first dependent on what features you are looking for (yes, "Offering a service and honoring a service are two different things" but if they don't even offer it.....!) and really little to do with "tier"   So it appears that trip cancellation insurance is important for you, more details like that would improve the quality of the response.

Message 37 of 56
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

When it comes to a WEMC, everyone has one;its just a higher swipe for the lender. Just get a MC(if that is the network you want) that created value(cash back, points, free night , cool perks) for your swipes.

Heck most terminals you plug your card, the cashier or folks behind you could care less.
Message 38 of 56
iced
Valued Contributor

@jbestman007 wrote:

You make it sound like this is obvious and objective, but it just isn't. Being "rated number one" isn't objective or even widely accepted - it's a blogger or a trade rag's opinion. There's no quantifiable measurement system that is universally agreed upon for measuring ratings or value. Just because a car commercial says JD Power and Associates rated them number one doesn't make them number one for everyone (or even most people). TPG doesn't annoint the top-tier airlines, and DoC doesn't annoint classes of cards. Nobody does.

You cannot make this sound obvious and simple and objective when it isn't obvious or simple or objective.

Message 39 of 56
jbestman007
Contributor

Yes, but this is really why you got the responses you got!  It is, as many people have said, first dependent on what features you are looking for (yes, "Offering a service and honoring a service are two different things" but if they don't even offer it.....!) and really little to do with "tier"   So it appears that trip cancellation insurance is important for you, more details like that would improve the quality of the response.

Yeah. I should have just asked for a mastercard comp to the CSR. I honestly did not think I needed to list all the benefits that were important to me because it would be an essay. But I accept my folly and moving on. This is why I am not a fan of texting. Too much lost in translation. You live and you learn. 

Message 40 of 56
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.