Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which accounts to close??

tag
stema8701
Valued Member

Which accounts to close??

I have acquired some prime cards this month and I'm trying to figure out which ones to close.. I was leaning towards the store cards more as they have astronomical APRs. What do you guys think am I on the right track?

Current Cards

US Bank Cash + Signature - 6K Limit

Navy Federal nRewards - 7.5K

Chase Freedom - 3K

CITI Diamond Preferred - 2.2 K

Discover IT -4K

Amex Zync - NPSL

Amazon Store Card - 2.2K

Firestone Store Card -2.2K

Kay Jeweler's - 1.6K

Cap One - $750

Cap One - $300 - Oldest Line

Starting Score: 600
Current Score:EX FICO 741 EQ FICO 763 TU FICO 730
Goal Score: 800
NFCU Cash Rewards Sig (23K), Amex BCP(10K), Delta Reserve (20K) Discover IT(8K), CITI HHonors(10K), CSP (8K), CITI TYP(6.5K) CITI American Airlines (9K), Amazon Store Card(4K), Chase SW (4.5K)

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
iMacDrew
Frequent Contributor

Re: Which accounts to close??

id drop both cap 1. small credit limits anyways and cancelling wont affect your AAoA. and the store cards if you dont feel like SD.. thats just me though it really just boils down to how many cards you want to manage...

Lender pulled 10-10-13
EQ Fico 715 | EX Fico 714 | TU Fico 703
Message 2 of 5
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Which have annual fees?

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 3 of 5
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@stema8701 wrote:

I have acquired some prime cards this month and I'm trying to figure out which ones to close.. I was leaning towards the store cards more as they have astronomical APRs. What do you guys think am I on the right track?

Current Cards

US Bank Cash + Signature - 6K Limit

Navy Federal nRewards - 7.5K

Chase Freedom - 3K

CITI Diamond Preferred - 2.2 K

Discover IT -4K

Amex Zync - NPSL

Amazon Store Card - 2.2K

Firestone Store Card -2.2K

Kay Jeweler's - 1.6K

Cap One - $750

Cap One - $300 - Oldest Line

Not on the right track.    Store cards generally have good discounts, and rewards if you shop there.    High APR is normal but you should plan to PIF in most all cases, so it should not matter much.  Store cards seldom get cancelled if you use occasionally and over time they build a great AAoA.    I would not close any of the store cards.

High Annual fees that don't pay back in rewards are the cards to close.

Message 4 of 5
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

@iMacDrew wrote:

id drop both cap 1. small credit limits anyways and cancelling wont affect your AAoA. and the store cards if you dont feel like SD.. thats just me though it really just boils down to how many cards you want to manage...

+1...especially if the CapOne have any fees.  Keep the store cards around...some of them come with good financing specials.  And they don't have AFs.  

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.