Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which amex to get

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Which amex to get

The amex hilton surpass with its 100k signup offer is about to go away and I am thinking of getting that. Also of interest is the amex blue plus business card with 20k points and 2 pts per dollar on all spend. 20k points is not a huge amount but I used up a large portion of my Amex MRs and could use some to replenish my funds.  I currently have the older business blue card, but the 2 pts per dollar will end after the first year meaning that at some point I will want this other card but that signup offer may not stick around. I had  couple of apps recently and I was trying to avoid adding any new personal accounts. The flip side of this is I am running very low on hotel points for future trips. Hilton points are not super valuable but I'm wondering with 100k if I can stretch them at some destination. Not to mention I would be able to get an annual free night that can be worth quite a bit. I have the citi hilton reserve so I have gold status and the other benefits for the next year until I cancel it. Thoughts? 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which amex to get

@red259 wrote:

The amex hilton surpass with its 100k signup offer is about to go away and I am thinking of getting that. Also of interest is the amex blue plus business card with 20k points and 2 pts per dollar on all spend. 20k points is not a huge amount but I used up a large portion of my Amex MRs and could use some to replenish my funds.  I currently have the older business blue card, but the 2 pts per dollar will end after the first year meaning that at some point I will want this other card but that signup offer may not stick around. I had  couple of apps recently and I was trying to avoid adding any new personal accounts. The flip side of this is I am running very low on hotel points for future trips. Hilton points are not super valuable but I'm wondering with 100k if I can stretch them at some destination. Not to mention I would be able to get an annual free night that can be worth quite a bit. I have the citi hilton reserve so I have gold status and the other benefits for the next year until I cancel it. Thoughts? 

if you can get good value and you have room for a 4/5th card, then why not.  the blue biz plus does not seem that great to me, however if you have the enhanced biz plat then it would be awesome.

Message 2 of 12
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

if you can get good value and you have room for a 4/5th card, then why not.  the blue biz plus does not seem that great to me, however if you have the enhanced biz plat then it would be awesome.

What makes it awesome with the biz plat? I had four amex credit cards and a charge card. Because I was near my credit ceiling with amex and because I had four credit cards with amex I closed out my blue cash everyday personal card which was kinda sad. It was my oldest amex card. I never use it anymore though and don't see any reason why I would have started using it in the future. I will go for the Hilton card in a day or two. I asked the rep if there is any limit on the number of amex cards I could have and he said no. I guess 4 or 5 credit cards is not an official public policy but more of an internal thing. Still if anyone know how long it takes for the surpass bonus to post after meeting initial spend I'd love to know. I could actually use those points on this upcoming trip, but if I will have to wait for statement cut etc then they probably will not arrive in time and have to be applied to a future trip.  I like the blue business plus one for the signup but 2 because it will give me 2 pts per dollar on all non-bonus spend which is great for a no-AF card. My current blue card will only do that for the first year. 

;
Message 3 of 12
jdxprs1
Frequent Contributor

Did you get the Hilton surpass?
Last app 1/2/2017.
In the garden until at least 6/2/2017.
Message 4 of 12
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@red259 wrote:

I have the Hilton Surpass card and am appalled at how little the hotel points are worth. IMHO they're worth less than half a cent. If I were you I'd just give up on the Hilton stuff and try something else.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 5 of 12
red259
Super Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@red259 wrote:

I have the Hilton Surpass card and am appalled at how little the hotel points are worth. IMHO they're worth less than half a cent. If I were you I'd just give up on the Hilton stuff and try something else.

I value them at around .05 per point (actually I am looking at a redemption now where I am getting back around .07 per point, so it is possible). With that valuation that makes 100k worth $500. The free annual night can be worth hundreds of dollars or more and I have the citi reserve so if I spend anothr 7.5k on it I will get another free weekend night. Its not great but with the anniversary night and pairing it with my other card I can string together a weekend in a high end city and could even get several hundred dollars in value. Is it my first choice? No, but being this is the highest signup we will likely ever see for this card moving on it makes sense. 

;
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

What makes it awesome with the biz plat? I had four amex credit cards and a charge card. Because I was near my credit ceiling with amex and because I had four credit cards with amex I closed out my blue cash everyday personal card which was kinda sad. It was my oldest amex card. I never use it anymore though and don't see any reason why I would have started using it in the future. I will go for the Hilton card in a day or two. I asked the rep if there is any limit on the number of amex cards I could have and he said no. I guess 4 or 5 credit cards is not an official public policy but more of an internal thing. Still if anyone know how long it takes for the surpass bonus to post after meeting initial spend I'd love to know. I could actually use those points on this upcoming trip, but if I will have to wait for statement cut etc then they probably will not arrive in time and have to be applied to a future trip.  I like the blue business plus one for the signup but 2 because it will give me 2 pts per dollar on all non-bonus spend which is great for a no-AF card. My current blue card will only do that for the first year. 

because it virtually doubles the value of return

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also jumped on the Amex Surpass promotion and my card is currently in route. One thing that wasn't clear to me, Is that free night a one time deal after the first year or is it every year?
Message 8 of 12
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I also jumped on the Amex Surpass promotion and my card is currently in route. One thing that wasn't clear to me, Is that free night a one time deal after the first year or is it every year?

Almost certain its only after the first year. The card would be absurd if they gave you a free weekend night at almost any hilton every year. Smiley Tongue

;
Message 9 of 12
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

because it virtually doubles the value of return

Yea I see what you are talking about and that would be useful to me but 10k spend is a chunk of change 

;
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.