cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which card has the best airline signup bonus?

tag
Contributor

Which card has the best airline signup bonus?

So I'm going to be doing an exchange program in London next spring, and I'm looking for a credit card that has a really good signup bonus so that I won't have to pay much for the flight.
I have excellent credit so I'm not too worried about getting approved. I looked at the British Airways card that has 50000 miles as a signup bonus but apparently they charge a ton of taxes. All of the other cards (CSP, US airways) seem to be offering 40000 miles, but I'm not sure if the miles are worth more or less for different cards. Ideally, I just want to get a card that will cover a round trip flight from Atlanta to London next January and April.

$1500            $1500             $2500             $2500             NPSL         
Starting EQ: 646 - Current EQ: 693 - Goal EQ for 12/2013: >720
Gardening from 7/2013 until 1/2014
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Which card has the best airline signup bonus?

Not sure if Citi till offers the 100k signup bonus for the AA Exec card. If so, that's got my vote.

Message 2 of 14
pip3man
Valued Contributor

For me I think it's the Citi AAdvantage card lineups. A one way trip to London (LHR) from NYC cost 30,000 miles plus $2.50 in taxes total. In addition most of my domestic round trip flights within the US cost only 7,500 miles... I got 40,000miles upon spending $1000 in 90days but it all depends on who is your preferred carrier.

Message 3 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@-NewGuy- wrote:

Not sure if Citi till offers the 100k signup bonus for the AA Exec card. If so, that's got my vote.

It does, but you have to use "zombie links" available in forums and blogs.  

Message 4 of 14
JGuz649
Valued Member

US airways may be your best bet. 40k after first purchase($89 annual fee not waived). January should fall within off season rewards which would put a roundtrip flight to London free, only paying for award fee and tax. Double check their chart to ensure your dates fall within that range, good luck!

Chase 17k - CSP/ IHG/ Hyatt || JP Morgan Ritz-Carlton 5k || AMEX 3.3k - SPG || Barclay 5k - US Airways/NFL || BoA 16k - Alaska Airlines || Citi - Best Buy 2k. EX 732

Now happily in the garden Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 14
USF813
Frequent Contributor

I'd have to say the CSP, since you can transfer the points to a variety of carriers. The sign up bonus may not be as high as the AA card, but the versatility of the points far exceeds that of AA. After CSP, i'd say the SPG. It's sign up bonus isn't as high as CSP but its transfer partners is very impressive. I might get the AA card once my BK drops, but honestly, CSP is on my radar once I re-prove myself with my Chase IHG.

Message 6 of 14
Contributor

That sounds good. The only concern i have is if a flight costs around 60000 points. Can i use 40000 points towards that if I get the CSP?

$1500            $1500             $2500             $2500             NPSL         
Starting EQ: 646 - Current EQ: 693 - Goal EQ for 12/2013: >720
Gardening from 7/2013 until 1/2014
Message 7 of 14
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@528491 wrote:

That sounds good. The only concern i have is if a flight costs around 60000 points. Can i use 40000 points towards that if I get the CSP?

Depends who the airline is. If American as everyone was talking about above, then no. However, United is another popular option and the CSP does transfer to them.

Message 8 of 14
noobody
Established Contributor

Do waste your good credit, if u can meet the spending requirement, i just get them all
Usairway, citi aa, CSP, united explore
EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 9 of 14
red259
Super Contributor

@noobody wrote:
Do waste your good credit, if u can meet the spending requirement, i just get them all
Usairway, citi aa, CSP, united explore

Probably not the best idea unless your going to be able to use those miles in the near future. What you want to avoid is stockpiling miles, because the longer they sit in your account the more likely they are to devalue. I would target signup bonuses to get enough miles to meet my needs, but not to have large amounts of excess miles sitting around for a prolonged period of time. Also, the signup bonuses on cards can change, so I tend to wait until they hit a high point before pulling the trigger. Otherwise your leaving a lot of miles on the table. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.