cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which card has the strongest purchase protection?

tag
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

Which card has the strongest purchase protection?

I am very interested to know what cards have a strong purchase protection program that leans more to the customer side (vs. the merchant)?

To be very specific - in case of a dispute between the buyer and the merchant what can you do with a CC issuer to get your money back if you are going nowhere with the merchant? 

I know AMEX has a good reputation in this area. Has anyone experienced this first hand that can share some details? 

Current Cards:
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Which card has the strongest purchase protection?

To avoid confusion, let's clarify a few terms.

Purchase protection generally applies when something you bought gets damaged, stolen, lost, etc. You buy a new laptop and someone accidentally sits on it and breaks it. That's unfortunate, but there's nothing about the purchase transaction that's in any doubt. The merchant isn't (usually) to blame.

Return protection means you bought something and received it, but later decided you didn't want it. You buy a lamp online but when it arrives and you see it in person, you decide you don't like the look of it after all...but the merchant won't let you return it. That's when return protection kicks in.

Extended warranties extend original manufacturer warranties.

Dispute resolution is more of what you're talking about. You might clarify your post a bit.

It's not just a question of whether the issuer will side with you or the merchant. The process is also important. What people like about Amex is the generally easy claim process. Winning a dispute with Citi or Chase can be Pyrrhic victory if it takes three phone calls or two hours of paperwork to address a $100 charge.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 16
jcooks
Established Contributor

With Amex, I've had to dispute a deposit I put on a car after the dealer said they refunded it, but was never to be seen.  I did it through online chat, forwarded them emails that they agreed to refund, but never refunded and was done with after.  Very easy process with Amex.

Message 3 of 16
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

I've had to do two recent disputes with Citi lately.  Only $10 and $50 but both were slam dunks.  Initiated and resolved online.  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 4 of 16
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

Thanks all. The situation I am is that I spent $750 on a standing desk that was shipped in 6 pieces with Fedex. Fedex lost 2 of the packages and the shipper is refusing to send a replacement until they and Fedex conduct an investigation. 

A lot of times I just focus on the rewards structure when deciding to get a credit card, but I know most of them come with consumer protection perks and was wondering if my situation was covered. Sounds like it is not. 

Current Cards:
Message 5 of 16
wasCB14
Super Contributor

How long ago did the missing packages ship?

Which card did you use?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 16
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

They were shipped two weeks ago. At this point, they are 8 days missing. 

I used my CAP1 QS ... but maybe I should have used a different card. 

Current Cards:
Message 7 of 16
LawStudentCivilis
Established Contributor

Why wouldn't it be covered by your card? Are you going to return the packages you did receive? This holiday season was peculiar for me, I had to do disputes across a number of cards (maybe 4) and they were all resolved in my favor.  Reasons varied from missing packages, return never processed, and phantom fees that weren't shown anywhere on receipt, etc.

Message 8 of 16
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

Yes, sure I'll return the ones I received for a full refund, or if I get replacements for the ones that got lost there is no need to.

I thought about disputing it, but the charge is valid which is why I asked about alternatives. Purchase protection is a process different from dispute I assume (the claim process is different).

Current Cards:
Message 9 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@CreditPacMan wrote:

They were shipped two weeks ago. At this point, they are 8 days missing. 

I used my CAP1 QS ... but maybe I should have used a different card. 

My only successful dispute (1 out of 2) was on Cap 1 QS, so....    (In that case I had ordered something from a UK merchant to deliver to a UK address where I was staying.   It never arrived, I contacted the seller who said it had been delivered, I said it hadn't, and Cap One refunded the money.   And next day, moving a cover, I found that the merchant had indeed delivered it when they said and had nicely protected it!   So Cap One can be on your side even when you are in the wrong!)

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.