cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which card has the strongest purchase protection?

tag
1LostArk
Regular Contributor

Re: Which card has the strongest purchase protection?

I've only ever had to file a claim with Capital One. Throughout the process it was obvious whoever was reviewing the claim at Capital One never bothered to look at any of the documented facts and my claim was repeatedly denied. It was only over $300, so I just gave up and didn't file a CFPB complaint, though in retrospect I should have. Silver lining: this experience motivated me to get some cards with good customer service. Never had to file a claim with Amex, but that's the card I put anything on when I want peace of mind. I called the Amex claims line just to get some information on the terms and conditons, and the line was promptly answered by a knowledgeable US-based rep. Definitely confidence inspiring.

Business Cards:
Message 11 of 16
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

@CreditPacMan wrote:

Thanks all. The situation I am is that I spent $750 on a standing desk that was shipped in 6 pieces with Fedex. Fedex lost 2 of the packages and the shipper is refusing to send a replacement until they and Fedex conduct an investigation. 

A lot of times I just focus on the rewards structure when deciding to get a credit card, but I know most of them come with consumer protection perks and was wondering if my situation was covered. Sounds like it is not. 

I know it isn't the focus of your post, but going missing for 8 days isn't all that long in the grand scheme of things. I know it's frustrating, but if the packages still show as in transit with the shipper I'd give it a bit more time before initiating anything with my cc company. I'd contact the vendor and also keep an eye on tracking info, but that's about it.

If the packages are showing as delivered but never received, that's when I'd get aggressive about chasing down my money or a replacement. At that point, you'd probably have more evidence to go on for a charge-back as well.

Message 12 of 16
wasCB14
Super Contributor

It's definitely too early to dispute. Packages get delayed, lost, or stolen often. One circumstance in which even Amex will sometimes reject a claim is that the customer did not give the merchant a reasonable opportunity to investigate and/or remedy the complaint.

If an issuer asks you for written evidence, it might be good to include a phone screenshot showing a history of several calls to the merchant's customer service line. Sadly for most people, that seems to be easier with Samsung than Apple.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 13 of 16
jmw1
Frequent Contributor

@CreditPacMan wrote:

They were shipped two weeks ago. At this point, they are 8 days missing. 

I used my CAP1 QS ... but maybe I should have used a different card. 

You might need to be a lot more patient.

Some of my packages have been a week late this holiday season. I did 2 day shipping and they show up on day 9-11.  Even one of my next day packages took 6 days. I called UPS to refund the late shipments and they tell me too bad this holiday season due to a systemwide exception to Jan 15. They get mis-sorted and mis-routed via the scan history and they still tell me too bad.

If it was USPS Priority mail, good luck to you. That's the super slow train nowadays.

Message 14 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

It's definitely too early to dispute. Packages get delayed, lost, or stolen often. One circumstance in which even Amex will sometimes reject a claim is that the customer did not give the merchant a reasonable opportunity to investigate and/or remedy the complaint.

Right, and a shipper/Fedex investigation may well be part of due diligence that an issuer will want concluded before doing next steps.

Message 15 of 16
summerterrace
Regular Contributor

Yep we filed a claim with Citi a couple months ago and it was very easy.  I was dreading it based on what I've read but honestly was smooth.

@ptatohed wrote:

I've had to do two recent disputes with Citi lately.  Only $10 and $50 but both were slam dunks.  Initiated and resolved online.  

US Bank Altitude Reserve, Delta Gold Am Ex, PenFed Power Cash Rewards, PenFed Pathfinder, Navy Federal Flagship, Chase Freedom, IHG Rewards Club Premier, Marriott Bonvoy Premier
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.