cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which card(s) would you NOT app for?

tag
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Re: Which card(s) would you NOT app for?

This is an easy one.

BARCLAYS bar-none Smiley Very Happy

For me NASA CU too. Those old dogs pulled a Barclays on me. Never again.

Message 41 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am not sure why people are so against Barclay. In the past 5 months they have given me 120k American Airline Miles and 650 dollars.  I did have to pay 190 dollars in annual fees for the 120k American Airline MIles but that still seems like a good deal and 650 dollars for 3k spend is pretty good as well.  

Message 42 of 55
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am not sure why people are so against Barclay. In the past 5 months they have given me 120k American Airline Miles and 650 dollars.  I did have to pay 190 dollars in annual fees for the 120k American Airline MIles but that still seems like a good deal and 650 dollars for 3k spend is pretty good as well.  

As a follow up, i am not against them.

I just don't trust them.

In fact they approved me my first instant approval for 5K when they had that prequalify page running and a year after that they PC that same card over to the Ring Card low APR.

In the (2) years i held their cards i didn't fall victim to their chop shop routine either but sided on the better part of caution to close them out before they got around to it like they were doing so many others, and most for the foggiest of reasons IMO.

Message 43 of 55
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Wife got a Ring card about a year ago with a 10k SL, before they nixed the Prime + 5% structure for new applicants.  Util was around 32% and TU score was in the 750s or 760s at time of approval.  They sent us loads of convenience checks; since there is no fee to use them, if paid off relatively quickly the fee is lower than a 3% fee on a 0% card would be.  Used a convenience check to pay a contractor that didn't accept credit cards like $6,000 and paid it off in 2 months.  A few months later, used another check for about $8,000 to pay another contractor and paid about $850 the first two months (many multiples of the "minimum payment") and were planning to pay it off by month 4.  They slashed her credit line to $6400 when the statement cut and reported 98+% utilization!!! They sent a letter stating their reasons: payments have been too low and her FICO score.  For clarity, again all payments we had made since opening the account were huge.  Her TU 08 FICO score at the time they slashed her credit line, and noted on the letter, was in the 780s and her overall util was down to about 22%.  Flawless credit reports, income in the 200s, oldest account 25+ years, AAoA 14 years, 3 TU inquiries (one of which was them), a few accounts opened in past 2 years but only new account was being added to an AU on my SPG since opening the Ring card.  Only her Kohl's card has a lower limit (and that's due to the previous $3k cap on credit lines).

I know that there are many people that have had Barclaycard products for years with no issues, but which other lender have you heard of that balance chases for the sole reasons of only making $850-$4,000 monthly payments towards 3-8k balances and having credit scores juist slightly south of 800?

Message 44 of 55
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

Not sure I fully understand your point, mountaindewvoltage.  Are you saying that, for you, the annual fees buy the perks, and the earnings on regular spend are essentially free?

By the way, your math is off on the BCP.  The annual fee is paid off after $1584 of spend, not $9000.

Your math is accurate ($1,584 on groceries *.06 > $95) and his is inaccurate...but you're both calculating the wrong thing.

It's not enough with an AF card to have rewards exceed the AF. The goal is to out-earn your alternatives (no AF cards and rewards on cards you're already paying an AF on).

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 45 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

Not sure I fully understand your point, mountaindewvoltage.  Are you saying that, for you, the annual fees buy the perks, and the earnings on regular spend are essentially free?

By the way, your math is off on the BCP.  The annual fee is paid off after $1584 of spend, not $9000.

Your math is accurate ($1,584 on groceries *.06 > $95) and his is inaccurate...but you're both calculating the wrong thing.

It's not enough with an AF card to have rewards exceed the AF. The goal is to out-earn your alternatives (no AF cards and rewards on cards you're already paying an AF on).

You can get 3 percent on BCE for groceries.  So forumula should be  (.06 x - 95) = .03 x

add 95 to each side

.06x = .03x + 95

subtract .03x  from each side

.03x = 95

multiply both sides by 33.33333 -

ANswer is $3166.

Message 46 of 55
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

You can get 3 percent on BCE for groceries.  So forumula should be  (.06 x - 95) = .03 x

add 95 to each side

.06x = .03x + 95

.03x = 95

ANswer is $3166.

Depends on the answer. Assuming all grocery spend the $1584 amount is the spend needed just to break even and pay the AF if you have the BCP. The $3166 amount is the spend required to beat the earnings of the BCE if you're carrying the BCP. So, both answers are correct depending on what you're asking.

But regardless it all ties back to wasCB14's point that was made there: "It's not enough with an AF card to have rewards exceed the AF. The goal is to out-earn your alternatives (no AF cards and rewards on cards you're already paying an AF on)." And this is something I wholeheartedly endorse.

Message 47 of 55
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

OK, mountaindew, I see what you're saying now.  You're right, if I pay $550 for Platinum, I get all kinds of perks right off the bat without having to actually use the card.  If I was to pay for SkyClub and Priority Pass access and hotel tiers and all that stuff a la carte, it would be way more than $550.  You're absolutely right about that.

What I'm saying is, the reason I won't apply for one, is that I personally wouldn't buy those perks anyway, whether at full price or for $550, and for me that money is better spent on something else.  Those Platinum perks aren't worth the fee to me.  Most people who have one talk about how the $550 isn't the true fee because of travel credits and Uber credits.  Yes, you can reduce the net fee if you actually make use of those credits AND they are reimbursements for something you'd buy anyway.  For me, that's not the case.

As for the BCP thing, if you're not figuring out how to optimize rewards earning with the cards you have, then you're likely leaving money on the table.  I try my best to avoid doing that.

Message 48 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

@simplynoir wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

add 95 to each side

.06x = .03x + 95

.03x = 95

ANswer is $3166.

Depends on the answer. Assuming all grocery spend the $1584 amount is the spend needed just to break even and pay the AF if you have the BCP. The $3166 amount is the spend required to beat the earnings of the BCE if you're carrying the BCP. So, both answers are correct depending on what you're asking.

But regardless it all ties back to wasCB14's point that was made there: "It's not enough with an AF card to have rewards exceed the AF. The goal is to out-earn your alternatives (no AF cards and rewards on cards you're already paying an AF on)." And this is something I wholeheartedly endorse.

Another thing is it worth it to have a bunch of multiple cards to figure out which one to use for which purpose.  To me I would rather just use one card at a time.  Once you get above 3 for different categories it isn't worth it to me.  

One thing that some of the coupon cutters dont' take into account though is that the BCP has an offer for 200 dollars for 1k spend and no annual fee the first year.  So you could get 560 dollars on 6k grocery spend the first year.  So the app is definitely worth it if you are trying to get the maximum return on your spend.  Just  cancel it after the first year if you don't want to pay the annual fee. 

Message 49 of 55
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Another thing is it worth it to have a bunch of multiple cards to figure out which one to use for which purpose.  To me I would rather just use one card at a time.  Once you get above 3 for different categories it isn't worth it to me.

One thing that some of the coupon cutters dont' take into account though is that the BCP has an offer for 200 dollars for 1k spend and no annual fee the first year.  So you could get 560 dollars on 6k grocery spend the first year.  So the app is definitely worth it if you are trying to get the maximum return on your spend.  Just  cancel it after the first year if you don't want to pay the annual fee. 

To be honest, it would be more like $550 based on Amex cash rewards redemption policies. Smiley Wink

I've seen this offer and it is actually tempting.  I might have gone for it had I not been turned off by my BCE's crappy cash redemption policies, and the fact that I'm already pushing the limit on Amex revolvers and there are other cards from them I'd rather get first.

Message 50 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.