Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which card would you recommend?

tag
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Re: Which card would you recommend?

Mainly here for education as I have no real world experience utilizing points for Delta however if you wanted to be a bit creative...

Have you tried looking into the partner airlines?

If you don't want an AMEX, with the Chase UR System, you can transfer miles to Air France, Virgin, or Korean Air, who are part of the SkyTeam Alliance. You would obviously find out what the best transfer rate is from UR to the perspective airline. Then book the flight with the partner miles.

Does it feed into Delta points directly? No. Does it allow you to be on the VISA network and fly Delta? Yes.

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@randomguy1 wrote:

Mainly here for education as I have no real world experience utilizing points for Delta however if you wanted to be a bit creative...

Have you tried looking into the partner airlines?

If you don't want an AMEX, with the Chase UR System, you can transfer miles to Air France, Virgin, or Korean Air, who are part of the SkyTeam Alliance. You would obviously find out what the best transfer rate is from UR to the perspective airline. Then book the flight with the partner miles.

Does it feed into Delta points directly? No. Does it allow you to be on the VISA network and fly Delta? Yes.

Partner airlines (like Air France, which is my #2 choice) do not transfer miles to Delta or vice versa. I have 25,000 miles sitting in Air France's Fly Blue that I wish I could transfer to Delta.  Since I am in the USA, I am much more likely to fly Delta. Keep in mind (and I asked this question of several Delta representatives) - the FIRST airline you fly on in a flight is the airline of record. My typical flight would be Delta from TUS to either LAX or ATL and then Air France from LAX or ATL to CDG, then reverse that on my return trip. The whole ticket (meaning both ways) is Delta for points purposes. Therefore, I can accumulate Delta points much faster than Air France (or any other Delta Partner') points. Given that reality, it makes more sense to simply pile my points onto Delta.

I accumulate Air France points through Air France's partners when I am in Europe, like hotels and cars, as well as side trips. My last trip to Paris involved a side trip to Naples, and I flew AF from CDG to NAP and back on a separate ticket. THAT ticket was all Air France's points.

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

You don't have to transfer flying blue miles to delta, you can book delta flight through flying blue website.

Message 13 of 15
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I know things have calmed down but I still ask that everyone please keep things civil. Thank you.

Message 14 of 15
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

I would get one or more of the following:

- Amex Gold, for sign-up bonus and to accumulate MRs through groceries and dining out. MRs convert 1:1 to SkyMiles.

- Amex Platinum, for sign-up bonus, hotel status, lounge access and other travel perks.

- Chase Sapphire, preferred or reserve based on your evaluation of how much value you'd get compared with the annual fees.

The Amex hotel cards are also good depending what chains you prefer and the value you see in each one.

There is no need to emotionally invest in big company brands, beyond just knowing what fits your preferences and spending patterns and is the right pricepoint compared to the features, that sort of thing. JMO, good luck!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.