cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which cards are easiest to get w/out killing you with "fees"?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which cards are easiest to get w/out killing you with "fees"?

I'm in the process of rebuiling my credit (see scores below).  I currently have 5 open CC per the following:

Eufora (this is a pre-paid CC that has a credit builder program - CRAs treat it as an installment accout) - I actually LOVE this card b/c my husband and I go out alot and the bars always want a card to hold to start a tab - this card is PERFECT for this!  If someone steals the cards/copies the number, there's NEVER any money on it (I put $10/mo on it and they charge me $10/mo for the credit builder program)!  The joke's on them!  NO RISK!! 

Continental Finance ($300 limit)

First Premier (was $300 limit, but just received a $100 CL increase today)

Chevron ($700 limit right off the bat!)

Shell (applied for/received the same day as Chevron, but only a $200 limit)

Two months ago I was declined for a Beall's account, but would like to have a department store card (and Bealls is THE ONLY ONE THAT I REALLY WANT).  Any ideas which department stores are most likely to extend credit based on my current scores?

Also, I'd like to have another major CC (not sub-prime) - any ideas (other than secured) which companies are most likely to extend credit based on my current scores?  I usually pay only pennies of interest between the Cont. Fin. and the First Premier card b/c I don't carry much of a balance, but the monthly "service fees/account maintenance fees" are ridiculous.  They even charge to make payments online (I mail mine)! 

I've watched my reports for the last several months and I know within a day or so of when each one of my cards reports my balances to the bureaus - and I just make sure that my balances are below 20% utilization (or less) by then!  It's a great system if you have the time to really watch/pay attention.

800FICOwannabe
05/04/09 - FICO scores: EQ - 660, TU - 647
04/21/09 - FICO scores: EQ - 711, TU - 642
02/28/09 - updated Tri-Merge: EQ - 699, EX - 651, TU - 571
09/01/08 - starting scores (Tri-Merge Morgtage Enhanced): EQ - 607, EX - 556, TU - 534

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which cards are easiest to get w/out killing you with "fees"?

Probably best, IMO, would be a secured card with a prime bank or a good credit union.  These do require a savings account for collateral, but you own the savings and collect interest.  And you really should be saving anyway, so this lets  your savings help in two ways:  the savings aspect, plus building credit.

These cards usually have no fees, unless you go with a subprime secured card.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which cards are easiest to get w/out killing you with "fees"?

My oldest account is a store card for Palais Royal. It is a multi use card that can be used at Bealls/Stage/Peebles also. When they approved me in Nov. 1999 I had horrible credit I filled out an app. on my birthday when the lady came back and said I was approved you could have knocked me over with a feather. Your scores are a lot better than mine were when my card was opened. But then again WFNNB took over my account 5-6 years ago.  There are no fees but the APR is kinda high. 21%. Usually just charge something then PIF. Good luck rebuilding and maybe Bealls will be in your future.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.