cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which cards are on your chopping block?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which cards are on your chopping block?

Keeping all Visa, Mastercards and Discover for the time being- dumping Macy's and thrilled about it. Already closed Talbots and Abercrombie and Fitch ( no clue why I even applied for that last one!)

Message 31 of 64
MissMoni223
Senior Contributor

Children's Place will get chopped in March, when it is officially 2 years old. My daughters have outgrown the sizes they carry.
Gardening Until Further Notice
15 Credit Cards (12 Major Banks & 3 Store Cards)
Message 32 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I don't really want to as my aoaa is low and I've not quite had the card a year but my Barclays rewards card is on my chopping block. There is no good reason for me to keep it at this point as I have other cards that match the rewards or beat them. I would like to open a Sallie Mae card and then transfer my limit over to it and close the rewards card.

I may leave it open for a while but will close it before any other I expect.

Message 33 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

I too wish I could find a PC option for BCE that would be useful but there seems to be nothing. I'd even PC to the ED if possible, not that I travel much but it would at least provide a niche that I don't already have.

See, thats why we get along so well, lol jk. You have a dang good limit on the DC. I hope to have that some day. If you arent adding anything until the end of 2016, its admirable of you to even think of what you would get rid of now!  15k would be significant enough of a limit to hold on to for util tho, thats quite  a chunk of your limits, right?

Anyway, yeah, time will tell on how well my amex trifecta pans out. I know that I have earned quite a few MR points not including any bonuses.  It will all come down to how well they redeem. Since I will be able to bank quite a few, I think I will get a good rate. Instead of thinking of it as 2.4/1.2 MR points per dollar, if my MR points were redeemed for 2 cents a point on avg, thats 4.8 for groceries.  I may or may not upgrade to the Preferred depending on my 52 weeks of use. (the 50% bonus translates to 4.5x2 for groceries, 3x2 for gas, and 3 for everything else).

I dunno, its begining to turn in to quite the juggling act...I would be more inclined to say bye to PRG if sams would give me that g-d MC upgrade.

What I would like to know is, if the AOL 8% priceline bonus could stack with the 5% the priceline card offers when you name your own price. That could be pretty slick! I've emailed them and have yet to get a response....

Well, the BCE has no fee and I remember how excited I was to get it, so I cannot really bring myself to part with it as much as I truly don't use it much.

I will probably close QS before too long. I loved my QS, love the reward structure but the honest fact is I don't need it anymore, the APR is 22% and I don't feel like trying to get it lowered. Capital One is easy and forgiving. Even if I close this QS, if I apply in a year I'll get a better APR etc so it's not a big deal. But since there is basically no reason for me to use it anymore, meh. But I won't close it for awhile because I just got my DC and Cash+ not long ago so I want things to "settle down" before I take a card out of the mix.

I just am not one for juggling many cards for many purposes. Honestly, some days it's hard to even remember whether it's Discover 5% on this, or is my Cash+ set to 5% on that, etc. It just becomes a pain and at the end of the day, even 5% comes out to a fairly small amount with the caps (and my spend is nowhere near the caps anyway). I actually was not paying attention when I picked my Cash+ for this quarter til September because I selected 5% department stores and fast food, the fast food is a good one for me but Discover is doing department stores as well so that was a waste. Just shows how much these categories can be a pain after awhile.

I am in the same boat as you with the QS. My apr goes to 22.9 in october. I am going to get it manually permanently lowered (fingers crossed) even though I dont carry a balance.  I do feel like my DC at 13.99 after 0 for 21 months was a HUGE god send in the event I do need to carry, and/or cap1 doesnt meet me half way.  Cap1 is reviewing me as we speak, I am hoping to go from 3500 to at least 5-10, then visa sig. Then october request apr and not temporary. 

You are right about reapplying. They prequaled me for 17.9 on a venture and qs. But I am hesitant to incur 3 more inquiries from them while sitting on 6 from cap1.

Simplicity is important too. I often times find myself using general cash back card on top of coupons. I am very thankful I have access to a discover card. That 10 percent is gonna be hard to beat this holiday/black friday season...

Theres all these rules and limitations with things... but its all part of the coupon/savings game. It definitely is driving me to get my scores up up up so that I can churn!

Message 34 of 64
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Wal-Mart - the only feature I like about it was cash-over, but Discover has that and makes this card useless to me.   Will likely close once Sam's Club MC starts to grow.

Sony Card - Dining 3X points were nerfed, and I'm unable to PC it or realloacate the CL.   Once I SD my QS (Citi DC will replace), I'll be closing the Sony Card.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 35 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

Everyday Preferred. For the first time in my life I went to battle with AmEx over this card, which was shut down while I was at the grocery store trying to meet my 30 swipes. I got the d* benefit from it already for an extra 38 years of "history" (added as a tyke) on my CRA's to balance out the litany of closed accounts on there. (churning)

Message 36 of 64
UncleB
Credit Mentor

This is an easy one for me... when the AF hits, the Amex Green will be history.

If I had known then what I know now, I would have app'd for the PRG instead.  Now I'll just cancel the Green next Spring, and eventually app for the PRG like I should have done anyway.  (I don't want to PC the Green since I'll miss out on the bonus.)

Message 37 of 64
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Probably CU card first. When one 0% promo runs out, close a card. Tis useless, lousy rewards, HP for any changes, have to call in for manual update to TU. 'Twas great starter, they gave me a chance, but the BCE can be used with same or lower apr.

Probably Quicksilver around June 2016. As many stated, set apr at 22.99. Could fight with EO (actually, they want me to call and ask), but as some have mentioned, can probably apply later and get lower apr.

Keeping Aviator until March 2017. Replace with either CSP or Alaska Airlines card. Might upgrade to BCP for one year. I can feel 780 barking, so no more apps until two years from now. Probably take a hard pull for Amazon Visa CL, will be new daily card in rotation. Haven't cashed any points with it yet, used for some quickly purchases. If stop shopping so much on Amazon, close and move limit to freedom.

So goal is 2 Amex (one hidden), two Chase, one Barclays, and one Discover. App for Sallie Mae after reach 780, maybe try for ring when ready to close Aviator. Chase Ink Cash on the Horizon as well.
Signature needs updating
Message 38 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

1. chase amazon. It needs to be zero and not used 30 days so I can move its limit to freedom and dump it. I would actually rather have the Amazon store card,  its 5% and deferred financing all the time for low spend. 

2. Capital one Quicksilver. I have two of these now and they are both under a year old.  I also have a closed qs account that was almost 4 years old.  I closed it because of the annual fee and then learn later all you have to do is call and whine about it. hopefully I can get some kind of threeway action on this with a higher up by presenting because the traditional limit combining does not apply to me,  I'd much rather have the old card history back. 

3. Fuel rewards,  if they don't match other limits before holidays goodbye. 

I feel you on that capital one shenanigans. I closed 4 cap one cards and a month later we can combine limits??? what the hey!!! i thought that was just a rumor or something. Anyhow nothing on the chopping block for me. What I need to do is stay in that garden no matter what so i can grow my limits. I really have every card that I need (that my file qualifies for right now). 

Message 39 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

Well, the BCE has no fee and I remember how excited I was to get it, so I cannot really bring myself to part with it as much as I truly don't use it much.

I will probably close QS before too long. I loved my QS, love the reward structure but the honest fact is I don't need it anymore, the APR is 22% and I don't feel like trying to get it lowered. Capital One is easy and forgiving. Even if I close this QS, if I apply in a year I'll get a better APR etc so it's not a big deal. But since there is basically no reason for me to use it anymore, meh. But I won't close it for awhile because I just got my DC and Cash+ not long ago so I want things to "settle down" before I take a card out of the mix.

I just am not one for juggling many cards for many purposes. Honestly, some days it's hard to even remember whether it's Discover 5% on this, or is my Cash+ set to 5% on that, etc. It just becomes a pain and at the end of the day, even 5% comes out to a fairly small amount with the caps (and my spend is nowhere near the caps anyway). I actually was not paying attention when I picked my Cash+ for this quarter til September because I selected 5% department stores and fast food, the fast food is a good one for me but Discover is doing department stores as well so that was a waste. Just shows how much these categories can be a pain after awhile.

BCE has no AF and a nice limit. Dont see any reason to close it imo. If it was a low limit, maybe.

Message 40 of 64
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.