Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 51 of 70
Asilomar
Frequent Contributor

Re: Which cards do most people have when they get to over 800 score

Well Arkane, let's see...

You demonstrate Ninja-like use of your Uber and Discover cards.  We do have 3 tradelines in common.  Your EQ and EX is higher than mine.  And apparently you know right where Asilomar is...

Congratulations!  You have been approved to... add me to your friends list on myFICO.com!  Smiley Very Happy  Smiley Very Happy  Smiley Very Happy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EX 809 TU 806 EQ 810

Message 52 of 70
Asilomar
Frequent Contributor

@Pikaboo-icu wrote:

ROFL

I think this is my favorite post EVER! 

You would be a riot to have lunch with!!  aaacheers.gif

CHEERS

Well come on, girl!  I'll take you to the best surf 'n turf the California coast has to offer.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EX 809 TU 806 EQ 810

Message 53 of 70
arkane
Established Contributor

@Asilomar wrote:

Well Arkane, let's see...

You demonstrate Ninja-like use of your Uber and Discover cards.  We do have 3 tradelines in common.  Your EQ and EX is higher than mine.  And apparently you know right where Asilomar is...

Congratulations!  You have been approved to... add me to your friends list on myFICO.com!  Smiley Very Happy  Smiley Very Happy  Smiley Very Happy

I got... friendzoned?! 😱😭

jkjk

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 54 of 70
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Asilomar wrote:

1)  He yelled at a guy taking a long time in the cross walk because he thought he was going to lose the signal.  

2)  Within the first 30 seconds of sitting down at the restaurant he "joked" that he had to be home by 7 or his wife would think he had a new side-piece -- but ha ha jk what she didn't know wouldn't hurt her.  Smiley Frustrated

3)  He was rude to the waitstaff.

4)  He asked me if I was a natural blonde.

I'm sorry that my charm offensive didn't work but do you have to tell EVERYONE on the internet???   If you just give me one more chance....

And as for why I have the card when I don't travel: I didn't get it, I'm an AU on my mother's card, but I don't usually tell my dates that.

Message 55 of 70
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Asilomar wrote:

[Highjack!]

So very recently I'm on a first date with this guy and well before it was time -- we had ordered but hadn't yet gotten our desserts -- he ceremoniously plunks down his Amex Platinum card right in the middle of the table.  

(I don't *think* the side-eye my brain was throwing him showed up on my face...)

So after a few minutes I asked him if he liked to travel.  He said, "Oh no.  I wish I did but work keeps me firmly planted at home."  

(Now my brain was throwing side-eye with an extra helping of eye-roll.  But you know, still not showing up on my face... manners and all...)

Nice try, douch bag!  

The only thing worse than peacocking is poorly executed peacocking.  Let this be a lesson to you, boys.  Never try using your credit cards to impress girls who are obsessed with MyFico forums.  Smiley LOL

* I have since declined all further attempts at contact.  Recon is unavailable with this institution.

I had an Amex business platinum card. One day it dawned on me that if you're buying someone lunch, they don't care what card you're paying with.

The only card that ever really made a real world difference was my Spiderman card, because that made the cashiers smile.

Both cards are gone now. But I can't honestly say I don't miss them Smiley Happy

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 56 of 70
joltdude
Senior Contributor

I have heard of one instance where what card was used caused someone to lose their job....

They used a hooters card at a biz function.....

In that case. I woulda picked something else.. but I could see why the guy chose it.. at that time it was somewhat a starter card for some folks and was easier to get than some of the prime cards....

If your having issues with a card network or provider, its best to pick something else... 

Or if your trying for rewards theres always optimization...

I admit there are certain cards that make me go hmm but its usually not just score based...

Some might say its credit based....or wealth based.... 

Simmons or Iberiabank are a good example... there are others.. And they aren't all a good deal either...

As long as it swipes or dips and goes through.. its the important part...

My point is that yes good and great scores are important, and hitting the 800s is an accomplishment, but theres nothing really tailored for that audience and in general, you have a lot of options.... but income and DTI are still roadblocks 

-J

Message 57 of 70
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Asilomar wrote:

@longtimelurker

4)  He asked me if I was a natural blonde.

Man LOL  That made me laugh out loud.

My ex-SO was a natural blonde, friends and family would ask her that if they really wanted to spin her up.  (I knew better :lol: )

Even though she knew she was being trolled she couldn't help herself from taking the bait.  The reaction could be...quite spectacular.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 58 of 70
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@joltdude wrote:

I have heard of one instance where what card was used caused someone to lose their job....

They used a hooters card at a biz function.....

In that case. I woulda picked something else.. but I could see why the guy chose it.. at that time it was somewhat a starter card for some folks and was easier to get than some of the prime cards....

If your having issues with a card network or provider, its best to pick something else... 

Or if your trying for rewards theres always optimization...

I admit there are certain cards that make me go hmm but its usually not just score based...

Some might say its credit based....or wealth based.... 

Simmons or Iberiabank are a good example... there are others.. And they aren't all a good deal either...

As long as it swipes or dips and goes through.. its the important part...

My point is that yes good and great scores are important, and hitting the 800s is an accomplishment, but theres nothing really tailored for that audience and in general, you have a lot of options.... but income and DTI are still roadblocks 

-J

Back on-topic, this ^^^ is what really counts. 

As someone who has recently reached the 800s with all three bureaus, I definitely agree that income and spending habits are the controlling factor for me at this point.  There's no card that I can get any easier now than I could when I was in the high 700s (which is where I'm likely to be again soon). 

Regarding using an Amex on a date, I'll share that if I were in a situation where a decline would be embarrassing I would be most comfortable using an Amex.  For me, they have proven that slightly different spend patterns don't bother them (an occasional out-of-state purchase or a restaurant I wouldn't normally visit, etc.).  Same for Discover and Capital One... both have surprised me at times with how easy they made "weird" purchases.  On the other hand, USAA has been triggered over seemingly trivial stuff, so while I will continue to use them for my daily purchases and for online stuff, I would never use them if having to call would be exceptionally inconvenient or embarrassing.

Slightly off topic; regarding the date... at first I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt on using the Platinum; perhaps he just knew it would 'work' no-fuss, no-muss (similar to what I mentioned above), but then it was mentioned that he was rude to the wait staff, and that's a full-stop for me.  I've never known anybody who was rude to a server who was a nice person otherwise.  "When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time." - Maya Angelou

Message 59 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

Better question might be what are the luxury/elite cards that only people with high FICO scores can get? Someone mentioned Simmons in this thread. I've heard about Iberia Bank being selective. My scores are right around 800, but I don't think I'd get those cards since the rewards are awful. They usually offer very low APRs though.
Message 60 of 70
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.