tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which cards get the most attention?

@dilettante wrote:

@sillykitty1 wrote:

@dilettante wrote:

@B335is wrote:
I could really care less what other people think of my cards, but no, Ritz hasnt gotten any attention. Maybe its because im in LA. Who knows.

I think it does have a lot to do with where you use it.  When I use it in big metro areas, no one blinks an eye, especially at high end restaurants and hotels.  They're used to seeing everything - Centurions, Palladiums, fancy foreign cards, etc.  

Also, the Ritz metal design has been out for almost 2 years, so it's nothiing new.  When I first got it after the design change, it did get a lot of comments but now not so much, just once in a great while if I use it at a fast food place or the cashier is new or young.

My Palladium used to get a lot of comments, too, when it was new but it's mostly when cashiers want to comment on how heavier it is than the Centurion.

I'm like you, I really don't care what others think about my cards, I'm into cards for the rewards or benefits.

The card I have that does get attention these days is the new Citi Prestige design.  Only because the stupid strip is in the front and I have to explain to the cashier almost every time I have to hand it over to them. 

My Ritz got comments nearly everytime I used it.  I'm in LA/OC, used it in high income areas, and not so high income areas.

As far as comments go:

Ritz - nearly everytime comments on the weight and sometimes comments on perceived financial status/wealth

CSP - occasional comments on the weight & perceived financial status/wealth

Amex Plat - never

Freedom - ocassional comment on it's shiny-ness

JCB - ocassional questions about the issuer, or those who know JCB, why someone who's clearly not japanese has one

Sallie Mae - ocassional comments refering to their student loans

I actually actively dislike the attention received from the Ritz (and occasionally the CSP).  It make me super uncomfortable when people make comments alluding to perceived wealth.

Maybe you can ask JPM for a plastic version of the Ritz?  I got the plastic version of the Palladium (not the Ritz though because I don't use it much - usually only for Marriott stays) because of the weight and comments.

I, too, think it's uncomfortable and odd when people make comments about wealth especially when you're just using a credit card to make a purchase.  I've only had it happen a few times and I just smiled and said, "No, I'm not rich, it's just the credit card company that likes to make these ridiculous cards!"

I wonder if they make a plastic version even.

Message 31 of 86
Anonymous
Not applicable

@-NewGuy- wrote:

My First Premier is all the rage.

You better watch where you use the card! May get mugged Smiley Wink

Message 32 of 86
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@ArmyVietVet wrote:

@-NewGuy- wrote:

I just wear a sign with all the First Premier fees listed on it and the negative element leaves me alone.

Message 33 of 86
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

@dilettante wrote:

@sillykitty1 wrote:

My Ritz got comments nearly everytime I used it.  I'm in LA/OC, used it in high income areas, and not so high income areas.

As far as comments go:

Ritz - nearly everytime comments on the weight and sometimes comments on perceived financial status/wealth

CSP - occasional comments on the weight & perceived financial status/wealth

Amex Plat - never

Freedom - ocassional comment on it's shiny-ness

JCB - ocassional questions about the issuer, or those who know JCB, why someone who's clearly not japanese has one

Sallie Mae - ocassional comments refering to their student loans

I actually actively dislike the attention received from the Ritz (and occasionally the CSP).  It make me super uncomfortable when people make comments alluding to perceived wealth.

Maybe you can ask JPM for a plastic version of the Ritz?  I got the plastic version of the Palladium (not the Ritz though because I don't use it much - usually only for Marriott stays) because of the weight and comments.

I, too, think it's uncomfortable and odd when people make comments about wealth especially when you're just using a credit card to make a purchase.  I've only had it happen a few times and I just smiled and said, "No, I'm not rich, it's just the credit card company that likes to make these ridiculous cards!"

I was just using Ritz to meet minimum spend.  It's in the SD now, so no more comments to worry about.  I reply similarly to comments implying I'm rich, something like .."oh, it's not special, just credit card marketing"

Message 34 of 86
negg
Frequent Contributor

When the disc IT card came out I got a lot of "is this a cc"  ???    Now I get few remarks when I use my marriot card. 

CSR.........11,900.......Delta Amex $11,200.........Marriott Rewards Premier $8000.......Discover IT $9700......Citi Preferred $8600.......Chase Freedom $10,800.....Barclay(apple) $11,600......BofA $1500.......Capital One $7400......FNO $9800......Barclay(Hawaiian airlines)$11,000......Citi Costco $15,000. June 1st 2013 0 credit cards and 575 fico. Today 117K in credit and 812 fico and ZERO INQUIRIES......ZERO. 2018 goal. 825 fico.
Message 35 of 86
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@ArmyVietVet wrote:

@-NewGuy- wrote:

I just wear a sign with all the First Premier fees listed on it and the negative element leaves me alone.

But eventually, you are going to get a smart mugger who realizes that when you steal a card, you don't actually need to pay the fees.  Or the balance!

Message 36 of 86
SomeGuyOnTheWeb
Regular Contributor

The woman at the dry cleaners once commented on BCE, but that's because she had never seen a card with a chip in it.

EQ - 727
TU - 752
EX - 774
Message 37 of 86
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@ArmyVietVet wrote:

@-NewGuy- wrote:

But eventually, you are going to get a smart mugger who realizes that when you steal a card, you don't actually need to pay the fees.  Or the balance!

Until they run into that $525 limit after the fees. Smiley Tongue

Message 38 of 86
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

As someone who processes those transactions...The broken ones and the ones with your old chewing gum on the magnetic strip. Those get you reamed out by the guy who has the power to make your drinks be cheaper... 

Also the dumb people using balance transfer cards to pay bar tabs. Why the hell are you handing me the slate? Oh the freedom is maxed out. Got it.

+10

Message 39 of 86
red259
Super Contributor

@ray8806 wrote:
I know this is a shallow post but...I don't care. Hehe.

Which card(s) get the most attention by non-holders?

I've heard the Ritz, CSP, and the AmEx Platinum get a lot of attention but I'm not so sure how much I suppose.

(Sidenote: Palladium and Centurion don't count haha. They are expected to be #1)

This question gets asked every few months. The only card I have ever had people say something about is the CSP and I think it has happened twice. I don't have the ritz or amex plat. My other cards are all fairly normal I think.  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 40 of 86
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.