cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which cards offer generous C limit increases?

tag
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

Which cards offer generous C limit increases?

In picking a credit card I think one of the main factors is deciding how often can we expect an increase in the cards spending limit. So I was wondering what 5 credit card companies do you believe give the most generous increases and do so most often? Some might give a bump up once per year while others may up the limit every six months.What say you? TOP FIVE COMPANIES? I think Amex might be #1. Not sure about the other 4.

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
ComputerWizMaster
New Contributor

Re: Which cards offer generous C limit increases?

Navy Federal gives the best credit lines I find. My highestlimit is with them @ $20K.

Feb. 2012: TU: 677 EQ: 647 EX: 666
Aug. 2013: TU: 729 EQ: 726 EX: 697
Goal 2013+: 720+ All Three
Message 2 of 13
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

After reading all your posts, I agree with Crashem regarding it being worth a HP to see where you stand with Amex by going for the Zync.  If you are not blacklisted, then: my list would be:

#1  Amex - 61 day CLI with a SP

#2  Citi Bank - 6 mo CLI request typically with no HP

#3  Barclays - 4 - 6 mo history required but it's always a HP ( you get to talk with an analyst though which makes it worth while)

#4  Chase - you can recon and at least get to speak with some one.  A lot have had luck and it's always a HP

If you want a card with initial GREAT CL, then NFCU if you have an in with them.

USAA is a great starting limit bank also.  Have to be a limited member or full member.

All GE cards can be CLI every 4 months like clock work if your reports are good.  Might want to try a co-branded VISA / MC or Discover with them.  All CLIs are SPs

I'd try any CU that self underwrites.  I suspect that they will give you a great starting limit and you speak with the lending department directly.  Personal lending.  

Not a complete list because there are so many cards for so many different needs.  You should evaluate you spending habits and what you want the card for to determine which is best for you then go for it.  I think you should be ok for most, but because you burned some bridges, don't be surprised if you are blacklisted with a couple of lenders.

Also, check out "NerdWallet".  It's a great site to compare cards.

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 3 of 13
Smug
Established Contributor

NFCU The top of the pile.
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree that NFCU is up there in the ranks. Good luck in your app hunt/spree! Do post how it goes.

Message 5 of 13
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

@improvingmycredit wrote:

After reading all your posts, I agree with Crashem regarding it being worth a HP to see where you stand with Amex by going for the Zync.  If you are not blacklisted, then: my list would be:

#1  Amex - 61 day CLI with a SP

#2  Citi Bank - 6 mo CLI request typically with no HP

#3  Barclays - 4 - 6 mo history required but it's always a HP ( you get to talk with an analyst though which makes it worth while)

#4  Chase - you can recon and at least get to speak with some one.  A lot have had luck and it's always a HP

If you want a card with initial GREAT CL, then NFCU if you have an in with them.

USAA is a great starting limit bank also.  Have to be a limited member or full member.

All GE cards can be CLI every 4 months like clock work if your reports are good.  Might want to try a co-branded VISA / MC or Discover with them.  All CLIs are SPs

I'd try any CU that self underwrites.  I suspect that they will give you a great starting limit and you speak with the lending department directly.  Personal lending.  

Not a complete list because there are so many cards for so many different needs.  You should evaluate you spending habits and what you want the card for to determine which is best for you then go for it.  I think you should be ok for most, but because you burned some bridges, don't be surprised if you are blacklisted with a couple of lenders.

Also, check out "NerdWallet".  It's a great site to compare cards.

What a wealth of information!! Thank you.

Goal 750 Across

Message 6 of 13
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

@Smug wrote:
NFCU The top of the pile.

Thanks Smug!

Goal 750 Across

Message 7 of 13
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree that NFCU is up there in the ranks. Good luck in your app hunt/spree! Do post how it goes.

I for sure will post my results.Which card company is NFCU?

Goal 750 Across

Message 8 of 13
starboundphoenix
Valued Member

I know for sure Navy Federal offers a Visa signature card. Not sure about their other offerings.

Starting Score: EX: 652 FICO | TU: ??? FICO | EQ ??? FICO
Current Score: EX: 760 FICO | TU: 737 FICO | EQ: 754 FICO
Goal Score:      EX: 750 FICO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ: 750 FICO
Venture, BCP, Zync, USAA AMEX, Freedom, Forward, NFCU Flagship, Discover, Barclay, Mil Star, United Explorer

Message 9 of 13
Open123
Super Contributor

In my limited experience:

1.  AmEx - they seem to offer high starting CLs and allow for 3X SP requests after day 61 - and easy limit reallocation through multiple cards.  In my view, far and away better than any other lender, in this respect.

2.  Chase seems to confer very high starting CLs.  CL increases are always a hard pull.

3.  Citi seems to have an automated CL increase every 6 months with moderate to good starting CLs--though not as high as Amex or Chase.

4.  USAA - extremely liberal and high CLs if one has full military membership.  One of the BEST cards for full members.

5.  NFCU - Always seems to offer very high initial CLs - $10k - $20K range.

With limit increases per se, I'd have to say that Amex is without peer. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.