Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which cards to use, and for what?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which cards to use, and for what?

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to see what everyone is using their cards for. I know the CSP is all travel and dining, Freedom is the 5x quarterly and the Freedom unlimited is everything else. Thats the big one, when should i be using the Amex gold instead of the Freedom unlimited My cards are as follows:

CSP

Freedom

Freedom Unlimited

Amex Gold Premier Rewards

Amex Blue Card Everyday

Thank you!

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Which cards to use, and for what?

I use mine for everyday spendSmiley Happy
Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Generally, you just want to use whatever card is going to yield you the greatest rewards based on the the purchase in question.  As long as you know which card pays which % in rewards based on category, you should be able to determine the best card to use for each "category" purchase you may make.

Message 3 of 20
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Amex Gold for travel purchased directly through airlines would be 3X MR points.  If you value MR over UR, supermarkets could go on either Amex card and fuel and restaurants (when not 5% Freedom categories) could go on PRG for 2X MR.

My primary rewards system is Marriott, so I'm currently using Amex SPG (1 SPG = 3 Marriott points per $, more for charges at Marriott) for almost everything unless it's 5% straight cash back (restaurants on Discover it and targeted Citi Diamond Preferred offer right now), 5% Chase Freedom (exhausted $1500 cap this quarter on restaurants, but 5% back = 5 UR points transferred to CSP = 5 Marriott points), flights booked directly with airlines (5 MR = 1.67 SPG = 5 Marriott points per $), and the odd transaction that I can't use an Amex on goes on CSP (2 UR travel and dining = 2 Marriott points, 1 UR elsewhere = 1 Marriott point).  Other than switching spend for signup bonuses where the net reward is higher than 5%, that's been my strategy for the past 5 months and I've racked up something like 270,000 Marriott points already (have cashed out a few times for effectively about 2 cents per Marriott point)!

Message 4 of 20
WolfMan
Regular Contributor

This quarter I'm using:

Amazon for 5% at Amazon, and 2% at Drug Stores. 

US Bank Cash + for 5% on Cellular Phone, and 5% at Electronic Stores. 

Amex BCP for 6% at Grocery stores, and 3% at Department stores. 

Chase Freedom for 5% at Movies, and 5% at Resturaunts. 

Sams Club for 5% on Gasoline. 

Amex Hilton if I go to a hotel, but otherwise in the sock drawer. 

Discover It it hanging in the sock drawer this quarter as well, 

Everything else goes to my Chase Sapphire Preferred. 

I need a cheat sheet in my wallet. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 20
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to see what everyone is using their cards for. I know the CSP is all travel and dining, Freedom is the 5x quarterly and the Freedom unlimited is everything else. Thats the big one, when should i be using the Amex gold instead of the Freedom unlimited My cards are as follows:

CSP

Freedom

Freedom Unlimited

Amex Gold Premier Rewards

Amex Blue Card Everyday

Thank you!

Here's your plan:

-- Amex PRG for airfare (3 MR points per dollar)

-- CSP for hotels, rail, cruises, taxis, and dining (2 UR points per dollar)

-- Amex BCE for groceries (3%) and gas (2%)

-- Freedom for the quarterly 5% bonus categories (then transfer the points to CSP)

-- Freedom Unlimited 1.5% for all other (then transfer the points to CSP)

However.... if this were my portfolio, I would cancel the PRG and charge my airfare to the CSP, thereby concentrating my points in a single points currency (UR), and saving the exorbitant annual fee on the PRG.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alliant Visa for general non-category - 3%

Amex Platinum for Travel Flights/Hotels (5x pts)

Amex Blue for Grocery - 6%

Amazon card - 5%

Discover IT for Rotating 5% 

CitiBank Costco for Gas - 4%

Consumers Credit Union Card (to hit 4.6% on 20 K checking + 1% on CC)

Capital One Spark for my business - 2%

The above is when I'm not churning, otherwise it all goes on what card im churning.  I hate it when I'm not churning because thats a 15-20% return.

Anyone know of a restaurant credit card that can beat 3% year round?  That's what I'm currently looking for.

Message 7 of 20
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Anyone know of a restaurant credit card that can beat 3% year round?  That's what I'm currently looking for.

Chase Sapphire Reserve.  4.5% on restaurants when redeemed through the Chase travel portal or by transfer to an airline frequent flyer program.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

yeah looking for straight cash

Message 9 of 20
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

yeah looking for straight cash

In that case, you should stop looking.  There is no straight cash card that gives more than 3% for dining.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.