Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which credit card account to close?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which credit card account to close?

I need to get rid of some of this clutter in my wallet. I know how to manage my cards but I think I went a little overboard in applying for Credit Cards. I'm thinking about closing at least 1. Here are my cards and limits/open dates. The first three I would definetely like to keep. 

I was thinking about the best buy card the most ,simply because its the one that is used the least and with the lowest limit. Its been the same since I got it. Also I only paid AF only once because when I call to cancel they refund the AF. I think it would also be smart to keep atleast one Visa branded card because they are excepted virtually everywhere. Anyone have any advice?

Amex Premier Gold- No pre-set limit/Since 2010

Amex Blue Cash- $4000/Just opened

Discover More- $3500/Just Opened

Chase/Amazon Visa Card- $2100/Since 2008

Barclay/itunes Visa Card- $2000/Just Opened 

Macy's- $6000/Since 2009

Best Buy Mastercard- $600/Since 2008

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
TheCreditKid
Established Contributor

Re: Which credit card account to close?

@Anonymous wrote:

I need to get rid of some of this clutter in my wallet. I know how to manage my cards but I think I went a little overboard in applying for Credit Cards. I'm thinking about closing at least 1. Here are my cards and limits/open dates. The first three I would definetely like to keep. 

I was thinking about the best buy card the most ,simply because its the one that is used the least and with the lowest limit. Its been the same since I got it. Also I only paid AF only once because when I call to cancel they refund the AF. I think it would also be smart to keep atleast one Visa branded card because they are excepted virtually everywhere. Anyone have any advice?

Amex Premier Gold- No pre-set limit/Since 2010

Amex Blue Cash- $4000/Just opened

Discover More- $3500/Just Opened

Chase/Amazon Visa Card- $2100/Since 2008

Barclay/itunes Visa Card- $2000/Just Opened 

Macy's- $6000/Since 2009

Best Buy Mastercard- $600/Since 2008

There are numerous threads similiar to yours that you may find helpful on this forum.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All human wisdom is summed up in two words - wait and hope.

-Alexander Dumas
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you are spot on. As you stated, you know how to manage your cards so it really doesn't matter. If I were you I would close the BB. It is your lowest limit card, plus you have another card that you opened up during that same year so your AAoA won't be affected.

Remember, it's not about how many cards you have, it's how you manage them. If you won't use most of your cards I would literally but them in away in a safe place until you want to use them. I would also have something small being auto charged to the account every month just to keep them active.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I think you are spot on. As you stated, you know how to manage your cards so it really doesn't matter. If I were you I would close the BB. It is your lowest limit card, plus you have another card that you opened up during that same year so your AAoA won't be affected.

Remember, it's not about how many cards you have, it's how you manage them. If you won't use most of your cards I would literally but them in away in a safe place until you want to use them. I would also have something small being auto charged to the account every month just to keep them active.

+10

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.