cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which credit cards allow you to do this?

tag
quarius
Regular Contributor

Which credit cards allow you to do this?

I'm looking to apply for a card today get approved and have the bank allow me to use the card right away without waiting for the actual card. I know they do this because I remember it in the past but forgot who does this. I never really wanted to do this before but given I want this computer and don't really want to wait for it, I also want a signup bonus for this decent size purchase. My credit it around 800 across board and low balances, so I'm not worried about denials. 

{NFCU-25k}{NFCU-Flagship-25k}{Saphire-15k}{BOA-25k}{DCU-10k}{Slate-7200}{FirstNat-4k}{DiscoverIT-6k}{CitiCash-$4100}{AmexBCE-$8500}{Venture-$6500}
12/23/18 [Experian-Fico 799][TU-Fico799][Equifax-Fico786]
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
5KRunner
Frequent Contributor

Re: Which credit cards allow you to do this?

American Express issues an immediate-use card number, and it works in digital wallets (at least Apple Pay) immediately, too.
Message 2 of 16
shadanat
Frequent Contributor

If you apply for a Bank of America card via the mobile app, you can upload it to the Wallet and if the mercahnt takes Apple Pay, you can use it there. But you have to apply via the app

Message 3 of 16
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Amex does it. That’s the only one I KNOW of that does it. Others will chime in I’m sure. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 4 of 16
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Below are a couple reference links from TPG and DoC:

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/credit-cards-that-offer-instant-card-numbers-upon-approval/

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/list-of-credit-cards-that-issue-an-instant-card-number/

In addition to AmEx, as notably mentioned, some SYNCB and Comenity CCs have that capability as well.
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe there was a thread on here a few days ago where someone got a credit card from Navy Federal (it might have been a platinum card if I recall correctly) and they gave him instant access to the limit while he was awaiting arrival of the physical card.

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Probably not exactly what you're looking for, but applying for the Uber Visa in the Uber app will let you add it automatically to Uber and UberEATS upon approval.

Message 7 of 16
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Amex is usually very good about it as others have stated, but it’s important to note that they do not give it in all cases. Even with instant approvals, I want to say neither my SPG (later upgraded to SPG Luxury and now renamed Bonvoy Something) nor my Business SkyMiles Platinum had instant card numbers during the application process.

I’ve never needed them that quickly, so I may be mistaken.
Message 8 of 16
quarius
Regular Contributor

Thanks for all the info in this thread. Interestingly when I checked my Amex cards, I have upgrades for all the cards. This one seems the most apealing, Hilton Honers which i was just charged the $95 annual fee this month. Heres what they are offering but the annual fee is $450 

Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card. What do you guys think of this and does anyone have experience with this? I only was keeping the card for the yearly free night.

Upgrade and earn 150,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points after you spend $4,000 in purchases on the Card within your first 3 months of Card Membership.†   The annual fee for the Hilton Honors Aspire Card is $450. There is no annual fee for additional cards.Earn Hilton Honors Bonus Points 14X/7X/3X.Diamond Status. Annual Weekend Night Reward. $250 Resort Credit.$100 Hilton On-Property Credit.Priority Pass. AFC.

{NFCU-25k}{NFCU-Flagship-25k}{Saphire-15k}{BOA-25k}{DCU-10k}{Slate-7200}{FirstNat-4k}{DiscoverIT-6k}{CitiCash-$4100}{AmexBCE-$8500}{Venture-$6500}
12/23/18 [Experian-Fico 799][TU-Fico799][Equifax-Fico786]
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

This isn't a super sign-up bonus, but the Amex Blue Cash Everyday Card is a no-annual fee card that will give you $150 back if you spend $1000 in the first 3 months, and all purchases (and balance transfers) are interest free for 15 months.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.