Best for travel and best for cash back?
Message 1 of 79
78 REPLIES 78
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Which credit cards are the best?

Simply put:
There is no "best" card for everyone

It all depends on an individual's spend (and in the case of travel cards also on the preferred travel partners)
Message 2 of 79
HighGoals
New Contributor

Well suggestions on some of the best cards
Message 3 of 79
Nomad3
Frequent Contributor

@dragontears wrote:
Simply put:
There is no "best" card for everyone

It all depends on an individual's spend (and in the case of travel cards also on the preferred travel partners)

^ this

If you provide more specifics as to what you are looking for in a card someone could steer you in the right direction. There are a LOT of different cards.

Message 4 of 79
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

It all depends on what you need and volume of transactions.

To some Amex Plat is a God send. 

To me, its $550 per year for something I don't need.

Navy Flagship is hard to beat.  3% travel and 2% on everything else.

Navy More Rewards Amex is a great compliment to Flagship.  3% on gas, transit, groceries, and restraunts.  

WF Propel is a good travel card.  3% on gas, travel, dining

Savor is good dining card. 4% on dining and entertainment

Ducks Unlimited is a great gas card.  5% on gas and sporting goods

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 5 of 79
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

I love love love my FU card from Chase but I agree is there a specific thing you need?!    For Cash back you can't beat a CU or at least with my CU they allow for you to withdrawal the total CL if you wanted which a lot of other cards have a cap to what you can and can't use.....Understandably so but still great to have Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 79
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

It's both horses for courses, and different strokes for different folks. That is, one person will consider different cards best for different use patterns, and, two people will consider different cards best for the same use pattern.

If you just want one card for everything, I would consider a 2% cash back card, like PayPal MasterCard and the Citi Double Cash.

Discover is also a very versatile card, and you get double cash back for the first year, so it's effectively 2% on everything and up to 10% on categories for the first year. Right now, my Discover card is 5% cash back for groceries, Walgreens and CVS, and any cash back I get is matched in June when my account is a year old. So in the long run, I am getting 10% cash back this quarter on groceries. They do cap the cash back, though.

My personal favorite is probably Amex Gold, since it's for dining and groceries and I spend money on one or both of those things nearly every day. Amex Offers can also be a big plus (that's not specific to the Gold Card, though).

Someone who travels all the time would probably consider a Platinum and/or Chase Sapphire indispensible ... etc. If you describe your goals or spend a bit, you'll get some great suggestions!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 7 of 79
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

@HighGoals wrote:
Well suggestions on some of the best cards

These may or may not fit your lifestyle, but my two favorite cash-back cards (two of my three daily drivers) are:

Chase Amazon Prime Rewards Visa

• 5% back on Amazon and at Whole Foods
  • 2% back on dining, gas, or at drugstores
  • 1% back on everything else (my current promo is 2% back)

Citi Costco Anywhere Visa

• 4% back on gas everywhere
  • 3% back on dining and travel purchases
  • 2% back at Costco stores
  • 1% back everything else

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 8 of 79
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

I know some will be surprised but I find the AMEX Surpass to be an ultimate card.

x30 Hilton Purchases (x20)

x6 Restaurants (x4)

x6 Groceries (x4)

x6 Gas (x4)

x3 Everything Else (x2)

x10 Priority Pass visits

-Free night once you spend 15,000

The numbers in the brackets are what the earning is worth in AMEX points when you transfer the Hilton Honors points 1.5 to 1.0. Then once in AMEX currency you can drop the points on a Delta Flash Sale to create a high per point value. But you'll need a membership rewards earning card to make the transfer work (ED, Green, Gold, Platinum, Business) to make the conversion work.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 9 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Girlzilla88 wrote:

I love love love my FU card from Chase but I agree is there a specific thing you need?!    

Every time I apply at Chase I get an FU by email instead!

Message 10 of 79
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.