Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which credit cards are the best?

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Which credit cards are the best?

@KJinNC wrote:

It's both horses for courses, and different strokes for different folks. That is, one person will consider different cards best for different use patterns, and, two people will consider different cards best for the same use pattern.

Very much this.   And then there are details that we sometimes don't know, someone prefers Card A when card B would "obviously" be a better fit, but it turns out that card B isn't available to that person because of history/dislike/whatever with the issuer.

In that vein, why Chase FU (without a UR transfer card) rather than a 2% card, for example!

Message 11 of 79
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

@Citylights18 wrote:

I know some will be surprised but I find the AMEX Surpass to be an ultimate card.

x30 Hilton Purchases (x20)

x6 Restaurants (x4)

x6 Groceries (x4)

x6 Gas (x4)

x3 Everything Else (x2)

x10 Priority Pass visits

-Free night once you spend 15,000

The numbers in the brackets are what the earning is worth in AMEX points when you transfer the Hilton Honors points 1.5 to 1.0. Then once in AMEX currency you can drop the points on a Delta Flash Sale to create a high per point value. But you'll need a membership rewards earning card to make the transfer work (ED, Green, Gold, Platinum, Business) to make the conversion work.

I'm glad you posted this, because the thought of converting HH points to MR points never crossed my mind. I think my Aspire card does 28 points at Hilton (14 doubled due to Diamond) and 14 points for flights, car rentals and restaurants (7 doubled to 14 due to Diamond), is that right? If so, I might need to seriously rethink some stuff, because (for example) that means I could get over 9 MR points after conversion at restaurants. Somebody tell me if I'm looking at it incorrectly. Dumb question, but how do you convert HH to MR? Thanks again for posting this!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 12 of 79
TSlop
Valued Contributor

@HighGoals wrote:
Who cards would you say are the best?
Best for travel and best for cash back?

Like most said, it depends what your needs are.

For easiest cashback, in my opinion, the best is the Citi DC at 2% or a CU card. Just put everything on it and win.

For travel, it really depends on your needs. For example, even though the CFU earns 1.5%, it can be beneficial to earn at that rate and then transfer them to a CSP/CSR for spending. That 1.5% could be worth more than 2% cashback. There are just so many different travel cards and options, so picking the "best" travel card really depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

Message 13 of 79
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Citylights18 wrote:

I know some will be surprised but I find the AMEX Surpass to be an ultimate card.

x6 Restaurants (x4)

x6 Groceries (x4)

x6 Gas (x4)

x3 Everything Else (x2)

x10 Priority Pass visits

The numbers in the brackets are what the earning is worth in AMEX points when you transfer the Hilton Honors points 1.5 to 1.0. Then once in AMEX currency you can drop the points on a Delta Flash Sale to create a high per point value. But you'll need a membership rewards earning card to make the transfer work (ED, Green, Gold, Platinum, Business) to make the conversion work.

You cannot transfer Hilton points to Membership Rewards points, they can only be transferred to airline partners at a pretty lousy rate.  If this were the case, I could retire by the end of the week extremely wealthy with the Membership Rewards points generated from repeatedly transferring MRs to Hilton 1:2 and back to MRs and then cashing out at a lousy 0.6 cents per MR.  Smiley Wink

@Citylights18 please review the responses to your previous thread.  The article you linked to is incorrect.

Message 14 of 79
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Girlzilla88 wrote:

I love love love my FU card from Chase but I agree is there a specific thing you need?!    

Every time I apply at Chase I get an FU by email instead!

ROFL 

Message 15 of 79
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

You cannot transfer Hilton points to Membership Rewards points

Aww :/

But, that makes sense ... that would be a huge exploit if it worked that way.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 16 of 79
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Citylights18 wrote:

x6 Restaurants (x4)

x6 Groceries (x4)

x6 Gas (x4)

x3 Everything Else (x2)

x10 Priority Pass visits

You cannot transfer Hilton points to Membership Rewards points, they can only be transferred to airline partners at a pretty lousy rate.  If this were the case, I could retire by the end of the week extremely wealthy with the Membership Rewards points generated from repeatedly transferring MRs to Hilton 1:2 and back to MRs and then cashing out at a lousy 0.6 cents per MR.  Smiley Wink

Convert to Honors Points to American Express Membership Rewards Points

Hilton also allows you to convert your accumulated Honors points to Membership Rewards points, American Express’ in-house loyalty currency.

The minimum conversion amount is 1,500 Honors points, which earns 1,000 Membership Rewards points. This is clearly a better deal than frequent flyer mile conversions.

https://www.moneycrashers.com/american-express-hilton-honors-surpass-card-review/

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 17 of 79
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

As stated in your previous thread, that article is factually incorrect.  The author reversed the transfer direction (Hilton to MR, rather than MR to Hilton) using the previous 1:1.5 transfer ratio.

Message 18 of 79
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@KJinNC wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

You cannot transfer Hilton points to Membership Rewards points

Aww :/

But, that makes sense ... that would be a huge exploit if it worked that way.

Yes.  As long as no caps were implemented, I would be a billionaire by the end of the day and a trillionaire by the end of the week.

Message 19 of 79
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

As stated in your previous thread, that article is factually incorrect.  The author reversed the transfer direction (Hilton to MR, rather than MR to Hilton) using the previous 1:1.5 transfer ratio.

Yeah I can't find anything else that backs up this article.

If it was true the card would be amazing and by far the best mid tier card.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 20 of 79
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.