tag
tengtengvn
Frequent Contributor

Which credit cards do you use the most?

American Express Blue Cash Preferred
* 6% cash back at grocery stores
* 3% cash back at gas stations + department stores
* 1% cash back on all other purchases

=> Amazon is categorized as Department Stores in AmEx system. Free shipping for order >$25, no tax to CA, 3% cash back.

For restaurants, I use Discover Open Road (2% cash back/$250 CB limit). Also use ShopDiscover for some online purchases (%5 cash back).
For places that don't take AmEx, I use my U.S. Bank FlexPerks Visa (1% cash back/no limit).

My expenses reimbursement for work is ~$4000 this year so far. My parents are authorized users on some of my cards. They use the cards for personal and business expenses.

Cash Back, Cash Back, Cash Back credit cards FTW.

What's in your wallet?
-Not Capital One.
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

Re: Which credit cards do you use the most?

Currently my Chase Freedom Visa is getting all the attention. I am waiting for my Amex spg to arrive (June 18th). I will be looking to spend $15k in 6 months through my spg card to get that 15k points bonus, so my Chase Freedom will be SD.

Message 2 of 15
Smerri1029
Regular Contributor

I use my American Express Premier Rewards Gold for 99.9% of my purchases. If I go to a place where AmEx isn't accepted (which is extrememly rare) I use my Chase British Airways Visa.

What's In My Wallet:American Express Starwood Preferred Guest Business Card, American Express Costco True Earnings, Citi AA Visa, Barclays US Air, Citi Prestige
What's In My Sock Drawer: Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, Bank of America Accelerated Rewards AmEx, SME FCU Visa
Message 3 of 15
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

PenFed Visa - Gas

Target Red Card - Groceries

Costco Amex - Dining out and Costco

Discover - everything else I can run on it

Ray

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 4 of 15
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

Chase Freedom - Whatever is 5%, Bills that don't take Amex

Amex Blue Cash Everyday - Gas and Groceries (when they aren't 5% on Chase), Bills that take Amex

Combination of Chase/Amex for everything else to keep % Util. as low as possible.

I used to use Discover as my primary, but it has been replaced by Chase Freedom (they have a lot higher limits on their 5%).

Another thing I'd be curious to learn, how often do you use your cards that aren't regulars but you want to make sure aren't closed?

Message 5 of 15
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

In my case, once every 60 days or so - and those are small amounts just to show activity.

Then - PIF the following Sunday.

Ray

Ray

Message 6 of 15
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

Costco Amex - Restaurants (3%)

Blue Cash Everyday - Groceries (3%)

Penfed Rewards Visa -Gas (5%)

FIA Rewards (old Schwab Invest First card) - Everything else (2%)

I do rotate my Discover more, Chase Freedom, BOA Cash Rewards and Citi Dividend in when the 5% categories are appealing. I also make charges every few months on my SPG Amex, Citi Diamond and USAA MC to keep them active.

I go with the card that gets me the greatest return for that purchase, and of course PIF!

Message 7 of 15
tengtengvn
Frequent Contributor

@RockinRay wrote:

PenFed Visa - Gas

Target Red Card - Groceries

Costco Amex - Dining out and Costco

Discover - everything else I can run on it

Ray

You know that you only earn 0.25% CB for the first $3000 on Discover right? If you use other cards that give you 1% CB (no restriction) on everything, you can earn a lot more.

You will earn 1% unlimited Cashback Bonus on purchases after your total annual purchases exceed $3000; purchases that are part of your first $3000 earn .25%. 

What's in your wallet?
-Not Capital One.
Message 8 of 15
castlefox
Regular Contributor

1)    Use my Alliant CC sparinly so I can keep my utilization down.  Only 1,000 CL

2)    Shell Gas card for gas.  Keep charges under 80 bucks a month.    400CL

3)  Smiley Sad use my Alliant CC or cash later in the month so I can keep my unitization very low so I have a better change when apply for a CLI & when I apply for a new card.                

I really want a rewards card but Im gonna do all I can to wait till the winter to apply for one.

MyFICO score- Equifax - 12.03.11 - 780 Experian 12.03.11 - 763
(FAKO Scores) EXP PLUS Score Dec 2011. 748
Advanced Risk Score 2.0 (NextGen) 793 Dec 2010
Vantage Score (2011) MAR = 771 Jun = 771 Sept= 788 Dec= 773
2012 MAR = 782 JUN=783 Dec = 789
2013 Mar-796 Jun-799 Dec- 797
Message 9 of 15
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

That is a very good point! Thank you!

Time to rethink some things....

Ray

Ray

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.