tag
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Which credit cards give the highest limits ? 2017

Merill Lynch (bofA) - 35k

PenFed - 35k

Amex Personal - 28k

Many others - 25k

then..... Discover 3.25k lol (thanks Discover!)

Message 41 of 59
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

Highest major CCs out of 37 accts.:

AMEX Blue Cash ED: $30K

B of A Cash Rew.: $20K

USAA Cash Rew.: $19K

+ several major CCs in the $13-$16K range.

Highest store CC:

Macy's: $24K

I will be taking TU HPs in January to try and take B of A to either $25K or $30K and BBVA to $25K--and an EX SP to take AMEX BCE to $34.5K and then transfer $4K of that to my ED to make it $5K hopefully.

And YES--how did some of you manage to get your Discover CLs so dog-gone high? I've had mine a little over 4 years-it was my second major CC during my rebuild and it's only up to $10.5K as of a couple weeks ago-stuck in a $500 per CLI rut Smiley Frustrated

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 42 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

I suggest giving Discover "tough love" if you want to grow that card.

After the first year, it's a pretty useless card anyway outside of the 5% categories.  No one really needs a monster limit for a 5% rotating category card.  But, I get it, we all want those bigger limits.  I suggest not using the card at all outside of the 5% categories and if you have another card that can cover a category (like a 5% Amazon card that can be used in place of Discover on the Amazon quarters) use it.  Some have reported seeing CLIs from Discover after giving them a string of months of "tough love" and moving their spend to other cards.

Message 43 of 59
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

After the first year, it's a pretty useless card anyway outside of the 5% categories.  No one really needs a monster limit for a 5% rotating category card.  But, I get it, we all want those bigger limits.  I suggest not using the card at all outside of the 5% categories and if you have another card that can cover a category (like a 5% Amazon card that can be used in place of Discover on the Amazon quarters) use it.  Some have reported seeing CLIs from Discover after giving them a string of months of "tough love" and moving their spend to other cards.

Weird... seems to be the opposite of what some other lenders (Barclays, Cap1) are known to do.

My highest starting limits:

Amex EDP: $20,000

Chase Freedom: $19,800

Chase FU: $19,800

Amex Hilton: $15,000

Cap1 QS: $10,000

Message 44 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disco gave me 15k out the bat, and at 90 days i asked them for the limit i wanted and got it.  I was blessed!!!

Message 45 of 59
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Disco gave me 15k out the bat, and at 90 days i asked them for the limit i wanted and got it.  I was blessed!!!

That's just it--for me once they stopped doing HPs for CLI requests it all went somewhat downhill. The one time I was able to ask for a CLI via HP a few years ago I got what I asked for too ($6K). Since then with the SPs it's been a VERY SLOW climb with the $500 increments 2 or 3 times a year.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 46 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrDisco99 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Weird... seems to be the opposite of what some other lenders (Barclays, Cap1) are known to do.

I would change "some" to "most" in what you wrote above, as 99 out of 100 times a lender is going to prefer a heavy spend over a light spend with respect to extending a CLI.  I too think this holds true with Discover many times, but unlike other lenders I do think the exact opposite can be true at times with Discover.  I have not heard of "tough love" working with other lenders, but many on this site have reported that it did work for them with Discover.

Message 47 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

why not call in and ask for what youre seeking? they will hp then

Message 48 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

These cards were opened prior to 2017 though.

PenFed Platinum Cash - $44,000

Bank of America CW - $36,000

Citi Costco - $30,000

Chase SWA RR - $28,000

Citi Dividend MC - $25,200

Chase Freedom - $17,000

Message 49 of 59
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Things that seemed to have worked for me....

Making a moderate to large purchase or BT and paying it off at a moderate pace....

Moving back and forth out of transaction vs revolving.... 

And for some tough love does work... slow to no swipes.... 

Think of them as a jealous partner... that analogy has seemed to serve me best... When they have the balance or the activity, more so than the others.. they seem to loosen the purse strings to get your attention... or if you don't use it... they will try to get your attention... as long as the rest of your credit profile is in good order....

I had heavy utilization on the card... due to the 0% offer... but i did make moderate payments, usually 2x a month.... they gave me one of my first CLIs at the 3 month mark with high utilization on their card... everyone else was zero or very light purchases... But i didnt have any other high balances.... I moved to transacting (paying in full) and after a bit.. got another decent CLI... .. 

Message 50 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.