cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which credit cards is good for traveling outside US?????

tag
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

Re: Which credit cards is good for traveling outside US?????

@Ron1 wrote:

I have been thinking to bring my Amex PR Gold and one or two Visa/MC. I don't want them to decline charges during the trip. I ever tried Chase/Cap 1 on business inside the countries. I heard Amex they're very good for traveling. I think I have to call them before I leave the country.

Ron.

You know, why not call and ask them to either waive or comp you in some other way to win your overseas business? Couldn't hurt - and besides if you've been a good customer and have had an account long enough, I'm sure they could swing something. Just my two cents!

Message 11 of 17
daylove
Regular Contributor

Bring one that has Chip & Pin the striped ones common here in the US are no longer widely accepted abroad..some shops and hotels refuse to take them.

Message 12 of 17
JRomulus
Regular Contributor

I'd be interested in knowing which American card issuers have real chip & pin style cards readily available.

I've been looking at European bank websites lately because outside of 2 US limited cards (Wells Fargo Test Market and Chase Palladium I think), no one else is issuing them yet....

Just checked Bank of Montreal (parent to Harris Bank Corp.) all of theirs have chip & pin, including one that is in US $.

Will talk to my local Harris branch to see what they can do...longshot probably.

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

We're honestly pretty much behind all the other developed nations in banking technology, pretty sad. I've seen some random cards here and there that have the chip feature, but most of them are the tap-to-pay type devices and I have no idea if those would work with overseas point of sale terminals.

Message 14 of 17
daylove
Regular Contributor

Yep..in the US we like fraud..chip and pin reduce/eliminate fraudolent transactions and skimming. Some terminals take either one. Many turist that visit US are complaining about the fact that here we are behind and do not like to use their cards for fear of fraud..sad indeed.

@Anonymous wrote:

We're honestly pretty much behind all the other developed nations in banking technology, pretty sad. I've seen some random cards here and there that have the chip feature, but most of them are the tap-to-pay type devices and I have no idea if those would work with overseas point of sale terminals.

Message 15 of 17
daylove
Regular Contributor

@JRomulus wrote:

I'd be interested in knowing which American card issuers have real chip & pin style cards readily available.

I've been looking at European bank websites lately because outside of 2 US limited cards (Wells Fargo Test Market and Chase Palladium I think), no one else is issuing them yet....

Just checked Bank of Montreal (parent to Harris Bank Corp.) all of theirs have chip & pin, including one that is in US $.

Will talk to my local Harris branch to see what they can do...longshot probably.

Wells Fargo & Chase are the only one that offer Chip & Pin cards here.

Message 16 of 17
barbaralee
Established Contributor

UFGuy2006 wrote

You know, why not call and ask them to either waive or comp you in some other way to win your overseas business? Couldn't hurt - and besides if you've been a good customer and have had an account long enough, I'm sure they could swing something. Just my two cents!

Hmm, I wouldn't try that with USAA... he'd be pretty hard pressed to find a rep to agree to that.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.