cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which credit cards update zero balance mid-cycle?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which credit cards update zero balance mid-cycle?

I have had occasion to learn that Chase will automatically perform a credit update for an account that had reported a balance as of the last statement if it is paid in full mid-cycle.  (This may be useful if you are attempting to raise your FICO, or lower your outstanding debt, in a hurry).  Possibly Chase's in-house counsel set this policy to accommodate a stringent reading of the FCRA requirement to "promptly" maintain current accuracy of reported information.

None of the other card providers with which I have experience update their credit reporting automatically upon mid-cycle payment in full.

Discover's customer service reps have agreed to send out a mid-cycle update upon request.

The reps at American Express have not, in my experience.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which credit cards update zero balance mid-cycle?

Really nice question for the community!  It looks like you want feedback to classify CCCs in four ways:

Automatically updates a zero balance (no CSR intervention needed):

Chase

Automatically updates any balance (no CSR intervention needed):

Synchony cards

Amazon Store Card*

Ebates Visa*

Lowes

Walmart*

These cards will update the CRAs at the exact mid-point of your billing cycle and you do not need to pay the balance to $0.  Any payment (at least $1) is enough to trigger the update for the Sych cards.  Walmart seems unpredictable but will often report at the mid-point even if your balance has increased and whether or not you have made a payment.

Will always update, but you have to request it:

Discover

Will never update, even if you request it:

Amex

NFCU

Cap One

Rapid Rescore situations for mortgages might be an exception, but expect that in general these issuers will not do mid-cycle updates.

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Perfect!

I do hope that members of the forum will contribute further data points going forward.

I would suggest changing the heading of the middle category from "Will always update, but you have to request it:" to "Has been known to update, but you have to request it:".  As anyone who has dealt with CSRs knows, you can never say "always"... at least not without more data.

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

In my experience, NFCU would not update mid-cycle.

Message 4 of 16
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Walmart store card will update, and I think Amazon and Lowe's store cards will also. Cap1 won't.
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

My 2 Synch cards do if you make a payment.
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
My 2 Synch cards do if you make a payment.

Can you tell us the exact names of the two Synch cards?

Also, are you saying that they will make a mid-cycle update to the CRAs every time you make a payment, even if you have not paid the balance down to $0?

Finally, do you have to request that they will do this, or do they do it automatically?

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amazon Store Card and Ebates Visa
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes as long as you make a payment-even if it is $1-it will update mid cycle. And no you don't have to request it. Mine both do it on my Statement Date (5th) and the 20th.
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rmduhon wrote:
Walmart store card will update, and I think Amazon and Lowe's store cards will also. Cap1 won't.

Will the Walmart card update automatically?  Or do you need to request it?

Same question for Amazon and Lowes.

PS.  You seem less certain about Amazon and Lowes.  Any way you can find out for sure?

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.