cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which credit cards will backdate an authorized user?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which credit cards will backdate an authorized user?

I apologize if this has been asked repeatedly in the past, but I can't seem to find any recent info.  I want to build my niece's credit score up.  She has a couple of cards, but her average age of account is very poor, causing her score to be low.  If I add her as an authorized user to one of my credit cards, which cards will backdate the account on her credit report so I can improve her average age of account?  I know American Express won't do it, so what cards do?  Thanks for the help!

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Which credit cards will backdate an authorized user?

Capital one
Chase
BofA
Message 2 of 20
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

To add to above in my experience:

Synchrony (Walmart/Sam's Club)

Dillards AMEX

Message 3 of 20
zerofire
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I apologize if this has been asked repeatedly in the past, but I can't seem to find any recent info.  I want to build my niece's credit score up.  She has a couple of cards, but her average age of account is very poor, causing her score to be low.  If I add her as an authorized user to one of my credit cards, which cards will backdate the account on her credit report so I can improve her average age of account?  I know American Express won't do it, so what cards do?  Thanks for the help!

My short answer to this is "Don't do it". You have to remember that a score is worthless if nobody is checking. Nobody will check unless your niece applies for another card or loan. What do you think a single AU account would do against multiple fresh accounts to a score? Reality is not much. AU's do not have as much value as full accounts and if your niece did apply for a new card would push her into deeper water than she is now teaching her that she can always apply for a new card when she needs more credit. You are better off letting her multiple cards age so she has a solid profile of her own and having Uncle pile on the AU accounts is a poor way of teaching patience.

Now if you are still gunning for it remember that you want only perfectly clean accounts with 10+ years of data and low utalization. You will forever have to control the utalization and if the niece gets too much credit you will be at fault. Lastly make sure that you destroy her card or she really will be able to charge stuff to your account and force you to pay for it. Bank of America, Capitol One, Chase, Citi, and Synchrony's Walmart are most commonly used along with Discover.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 4 of 20
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@zerofire wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I apologize if this has been asked repeatedly in the past, blah, blah, blah

blah, blah, blah

Thanks for the help!

My short answer to this is "Don't do it".      Blah, blah, blah

Blah, blah

Now if you are still gunning for it remember that you want only perfectly clean accounts with 10+ years of data and low utalization. You will forever have to control the utalization and if the niece gets too much credit you will be at fault. Lastly make sure that you destroy her card or she really will be able to charge stuff to your account and force you to pay for it. Bank of America, Capitol One, Chase, Citi, and Synchrony's Walmart are most commonly used along with Discover.

Why is it someone else's fault if the niece gets into trouble later.  I agree it might not be teaching her patience and other things, but I don't get line reasoning of responsibility there.   The niece is ultimately in control of her own actions and responsible for her decisions.  The uncle/aunt did not hold a gun to her head and say get that new American Airlines card with 50,000 bonus miles.......

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info everyone, gonna try with my Chase card and see if that works.  Does anyone happen to know if Citibank would work too?

Message 6 of 20
archliberal
Established Member

barclaycard backdated AUs that I added.

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

USAA backdates AU's. Did this for both my daughters and of coarse took ownership of the cards. lol

Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok so a quick update on this, I tried it with my Barclays card and my Chase card.  Barclays asked for my niece's social security number and Chase didn't, and when I tried to give it to Chase they said they won't attach a SS# to an authorized user account, but it will still show up on her credit report.  Fast forward a few weeks and the Barclays card shows on her report and is backdated (she receievd an alert from her credit monitoring a day or so after I made the call), but Chase still doesn't show on her report.

For people that have used Chase to backdate as an authorized user, how long did it take for the card to show on the credit report?  And did they ask for a social security number?

Message 9 of 20
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

American Express is the only lender that I am aware of that does not (or more correctly, no longer does) backdate AU accounts.  I have backdated AU accounts from Bank of America, Capital One, Chase, Citi, and Discover.

With the AU reporting without a SSN, the CBs will try to match up data submitted by the lender to the appropriate credit report.  Usually if this is a family member living with you (or if the family member has your address as a previous address) it happens seamlessly.  If they're unable to match up the reported AU to a credit record they have on file, it may never appear.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.